Dermatology

Dermatology Questions? Ask an Online Dermatologist.

Ask a Doctor,

Dermatology

Why Does My Penis And Butthole Itch?

Actually my issue is my...

Actually my issue is my penis and some itchiness around and in it.
On the outside of the penis on the right, just below the head, in the same spot all the time, I get a twinge occasionally. Not real painful, but bothersome for a minute of so. However, I also get some annoying itches just inside my penis opening. Again, not painful, but annoying and itchy. They both come and go and a few times a day.
Also, it sounds weird but I have itch or feeling inside my rectum area (like a very small bug is in there, moving around once in a while). Not real itchy, but annoying for short times. What the heck?
Anyway, I went to a doctor I know and he inspected my penis (I did not mention anus) and he said all looks ok. He wrote an rx for Doxyccl hyc 100 mg 2x10 days, saying that maybe I had something but he could not tell (I started it). Is there a faster more potent option? What else can I do? Does this sound like anything contagious?
Optional Information: Male , Age: 44

Already Tried: it is in question

3/18/2006
DrHanson

# 1 -----"Itching around and in penis."
You have balanitis which is an inflammation of the glans (head) of your penis. The itching is caused by candida albicans due to the Doxycycline and a moist glans. It usually occurs in men who have a foreskin. Candida albicans is a yeast that grows on the glans of the penis due to moisture and warmth under the foreskin. Keep the glans and foreskin of your penis clean (especially after urinating and after sex). Use water and sorbolene and glycerine cream instead of soap because soap can irritate your skin. Then dry your glans and under the foreskin of your penis. Doxycycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic that causes the itchy yeast on the glans and under the foreskin of your penis. Yeast infections of the penis are treated with Mycostatin ointment. The skin should be kept dry. Corticosteroid ointments may be used to reduce the itching and pain.
You can restore the normal flora and ecology of your intestines by eating yoghurt. This should also stop the itching.
#2 -----"itch or feeling inside rectum area (like a very small bug is in there, moving around once in a while)".
You also have pruritus ani (anal itch) also caused by candida albicans (yeast) due to the Doxycycline. Pruritis ani is an irritation of the skin in and around your anus caused by the growth of yeast and possibly pinworms. Doxycycline is a broad spectrum tetracycline antibiotic that can cause anal itch by causing an imbalance of normal flora in the intestines allowing candida albicans to grow. Doxycycline kills the "good" flora which controls the candida albicans. However, when you take Doxycycline then this allows candida albicans to grow in your intestinal tract. Yeast infections of the anus are treated with a nystatin suppository.
This is a list of creams, lotions, and ointments to treat a yeast infection:
Fungizone 3% cream, lotion, ointment. Apply to affected area twice to four times/day
Mentax 1% cream Apply to affected area once daily
Lotrimin, Mycelex 1% cream Apply to affected area twice/day
Spectazole 1% cream Apply to affected area once to twice/day
Nizoral 2% cream Apply to affected area once daily
Monistat-Derm, Micatin 2% cream, powder, spray Apply to affected area twice/day
Mycostatin cream, ointment, powder Apply to affected area twice/day
Lamisil 1% cream Apply to affected area twice/day
Tinactin1% cream Apply to affected area twice/day
Fungizone 3% cream, lotion, ointment Apply to affected area twice to four times/day
Tinactin 1% cream Apply to affected area twice/day
http://www.doctorfungus.org/Mycoses/human/CANDIDA/Cutaneous_General.htm
Pinworms can cause itching of the anus. After a person ingests the enterobius vermicularis roundworm eggs they move to the intestine where the pinworm eggs hatch. Then in two months the female pinworm crawls out of the anus and lays her eggs on the skin around the anus which causes the person's anus to itch. Pinworms glow if you shine a light on them. Pinworms are treated with one tablet of Vermox.
Good hygiene including frequent hand-washing is important.
Balanitis and pruritis ani are both contagious. Pinworm eggs are contagious for 3 weeks.
If you have additional questions I will gladly answer them.

I had the issue before the doxy so I do not think that started the problem. However, between athletes foot I had, and other exposure that I may have had to fungus, yeast and whatever, it makes sense.
What can I do now? Go to Pharmacy? Ask for one of those things on the list of treatments?
Where else can you get the pinworm? How do I get a dose of Vermox?

#1---"What can I do now? Go to Pharmacy? Ask for one of those things on the list of treatments?"
Call your doctor and ask him for a prescription for Fungizone 3% Cream 20 GM (the ingredient is Amphotericin B). Fungizone 3% Cream 20 GM is an anti-fungal. Fungizone 3% Cream 20 GM will help to clear up your yeast infection much sooner than the less potent over-the-counter (OTC) medications. Or, you can buy over-the-counter medications that will treat your yeast infection e.g. Tinactin, Lotrimin, and Micatin.
#2---Where else can you get the pinworm?
People become infested with pinworms by unknowingly ingesting microscopic pinworm eggs that can be found on many different surfaces, including bed linens, towels, clothing (especially underwear and pyjamas), toilets, bathroom fixtures, food, drinking glasses, eating utensils, kitchen counters, desks or lunch tables at school, and children's toys. Infestation with pinworms is caused by finger transfer of microscopic pinworm eggs from the perianal area (area around a person's rectum) to their clothing, bedding, furniture, rugs, etc. from which the microscopic eggs are picked up by the next person. The microscopic eggs can survive on clothing, bedding, furniture, rugs, etc. for as long as 3 weeks at normal room temperature. Then the eggs are transmitted to the next person's mouth by their un-washed hands where the microscopic eggs are swallowed. Microscopic worm eggs in the air may be inhaled and then swallowed. Re-infestation with the pinworms occurs through finger transfer of ova from the perianal area to the mouth when people do not wash their hands after using the restroom.
#3---"How do I get a dose of Vermox?"
Call your doctor and ask for a prescription of Vermox. A pharmacy near your home can verify the prescription. Vermox is the brand name of mebendazole. It comes in chewable 100 mg tablets (U.S. and Canada). Vermox is in a group of medicines called anthelmintics used in the treatment of worm infections e.g. roundworms (ascariasis); hookworms (uncinariasis); pinworms; whipworms (trichuriasis); and more than one worm infestation at a time. Vermox keeps the worms from absorbing glucose (sugar) in your gut. This eventually causes the death of the worms. Take one tablet. In three weeks take a second tablet if you are not cured after taking the first tablet. You might feel some abdominal pain and diarrhea after taking the Vermox because your body will be expelling the worms.
You can also use pyrantel pamoate which is a non-prescription medication used to treat pinworm infections. One brand of pyrantel pamoate is called Combantrin. Take one dose of Combantrin then wait 14 days and then take a second dose (as long as no side effects were noted after the first dose). Combantrin (pyrantel pamoate) does not kill pinworm eggs; it only kills adult pinworms. Combantrin (pyrantel pamoate) is available without a prescription. Treatment with a second dose of Combantrin (pyrantel pamoate) usually is recommended because the eggs can survive for 2 weeks after treatment. If you have problems calculating your dose or you have specific questions about the medication then talk with a pharmacist. It is important that you understand your medications.
IN SUMMARY:
I recommend that you telephone your doctor and ask him for a prescription for Fungizone 3% Cream 20 GM Amphotericin B and a prescription for chewable Vermox 100 mg. (mebendazole 100 mg).
I hope this information is helpful. If you have additional questions I will gladly answer them.

Ok, great, almost there. Question and let me see if I have it right.
Should I stop taking the Doxy? I wanted to finish it ( I'm on day 5 out of 10) to be sure I have nothing like an STD or something! However, it sounds from your advise, maybe I do not need it and it could make it worse by killing good flora?
Should I get an Rx of the anal suppository you mentioned?
It sounds like both anus and penis are caused by same thing, yeast infection. I should get Mycostain RX for the penis and Fungizone RX for Anus?
I am thinking this will solve things if I do not have pinworm, which I hope and think I probably do not because I would have seen other things?
Lastly, how can I explain how I got a yeast infection to penis and anus!?
Thanks!

#1---The Doxycycline was ordered by another physician; therefore, I cannot tell you to discontinue taking the medication.
#2---Should I get an Rx of the anal suppository you mentioned? It sounds like both anus and penis are caused by same thing, yeast infection. I should get Mycostain RX for the penis and Fungizone RX for anus?
Yes. Prescriptions are much better than over the counter and will help you much quicker. Telephone your physician and tell him that you have a yeast infection of your penis and rectum and possibly pinworms.
Ask your physician for prescriptions for:
1) Mycostatin (nystatin) suppositories for your anal itch
2) Fungizone 3% Cream 20 GM Amphotericin B for your penis. Amphotericin B (Fungizone) is an antifungal type of antibiotic. It treats fungus infections of the skin.
3) Chewable Vermox 100 mg. (mebendazole 100 mg)---even if you can't see them, the pinworm eggs could be causing your anal itch. Taking the Vermox won't hurt you even if you don't have pinworms.
Eat yoghurt. Cut down on the amount of sugar you eat to reduce the energy (sugar) that you feed the Candida albicans and the pinworms that could be in your body. You can also buy over the counter Monistat-3 suppositories 200 mg. that you insert once a night for 3 nights. Monistat-3 is the brand name for miconazole 200 mg. that is used by women to cure vaginal or rectal yeast infections. Many men use it for rectal itch. If you're too embarrassed, then just tell the pharmacist it's for your girlfriend.
#3---"how can I explain how I got a yeast infection to penis and anus!?"
There is no direct evidence that a yeast infection is passed through sexual intercourse. The source of chronic candida yeast overgrowth is usually the gastrointestinal tract. That is why you should cut down on your sugar intake because yeast thrive on sugar. Many people get yeast infections who do not have sexual intercourse. Some men get yeast infections by prolonged antibiotic use (e.g. Doxycycline), using condoms with nonoxynol-9 added to the lubricant which may contribute to anal yeast infection, direct contact, unprotected sex, and diabetes (men with diabetes are more susceptible to yeast infections due to elevated sugar in the urine).
Dietary recommendations for Acute Candida:
Eat fresh vegetables and fruits
Fish and poultry
Flax seed (Linseed)
Whole grains
Organically raised foods where possible.
Other essential fatty acids, such as olive oil and nuts
Drink plenty of fresh water
Take 1 tablespoon Psyllium seed husk fibre and/or 6 to 8 tablespoons flax seed meal and/or ¼ cup Oat bran daily.
Avoid: excessive sugar, excessive white flour products, alcohol, animal fats, caffeine, dairy products, fast foods and junk foods, and hydrogenated oils and margarines.

DrHanson

I had follow up question from this. I wanted to make sure the Rx suggested was also for the itch that seems to be coming from inside the opening in the penis, not just the outside.

Yes. Fungizone 3% Cream 20 GM (Amphotericin B) will eliminate the Candida albicans inside your meatal opening (the orifice from which your urine and semen is released). Also the Fungizone cream will eliminate the Candida from the head of your penis (glans) and inside and under your foreskin. Candida is a yeast and the most common cause of opportunistic mycoses worldwide. It is a frequent colonizer of human skin and mucous membranes. Candida is a member of normal flora of skin including the glans and prepuce of the penis and around and inside the anus.
Directions for using Fungizone 3% Cream 20 GM (Amphotericin B):
Wash the end of your penis and foreskin thoroughly using warm water only. Alternatively, sorbolene and glycerine cream (available from pharmacies and supermarkets) should be used as a substitute for soap. After washing, dry the end of your penis and foreskin thoroughly. After drying apply enough medicine to cover the affected area. Rub in gently. Allow the medicine to dry thoroughly on your penis and underneath the glans. Wash your hands immediately after using the medicine. Store it at room temperature, away from heat and light. Continue using the medicine until all of your symptoms are gone. If your symptoms do not improve within 1 to 2 weeks, or if they become worse, then check with your doctor. Avoid getting the medicine in your eyes or on the inside of your nose and mouth.
If you have pain or burning when you urinate and/or a yellowish thick discharge from your urethral meatus (opening where urine and semen is released), then I advise you to see your primary care physician or ask your primary care physician for a referral to a "urologist". A urologist is a physician who has specialized knowledge and skill regarding problems of the male urinary tract and the male reproductive organs.
You'll be fine after you follow my previous advice. If you have any additional questions please ask. I am here to help you.

I went to my local doctor and he said that he did not see any yeast on penis, on anus and said I did not have yeast infection. He wants me to finish doxy, eat yoghurt, do a stool sample and then if there is yeast in stool, he will write a rx for diflucan.
Does he sound right? Would you see yeast? I asked that and he said he would see a rash. Maybe I should go find a better doctor.

Your physician suspects you have a Chlamydia infection. Nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) is an inflammation of the urinary tract caused by Chlamydia. 50 % of men have no symptoms. The most common symptom of a Chlamydia infection in a male patient is itching and/or a discharge of mucus or pus from their penis. Some men also notice pain when urinating.
You went to your local "doc" and he said that he did not see any yeast on penis or anus and said you did not have yeast infection. Continue to follow your physician's advice.
Good luck.

Your "doc" might be treating a Chlamydia infection. The antibiotic doxycycline (100 mg twice a day for 7 days) is used to treat chlamydia infections. The most common symptoms of a Chlamydia infection in a male patient are difficulty urinating, painful urination, burning sensation during urination, discharge from the penis, testicular tenderness, redness, and swelling of the opening of the urethra at the tip of the penis.
You went to your local "doctor" and he said that he did not see any yeast on your penis or anus and said you did not have a yeast infection. "Would you see yeast? I asked that and he said he would see a rash."
No. You can't always see a rash with a yeast infection. Normally people don't know it's there unless it causes itching. When a patient has Candida balanitis they initially complain of itchiness of their penis. A rash and whitish patches don't appear until the Candida infection has caused inflammation (swelling and irritation of the penis).
Oral fluconazole is sometimes used to treat difficult cases of yeast infection, but it can have unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects e.g. vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, hepatitis, and altered liver function (PDR 2004).
Whatever your "doc" is treating should respond to the antibiotic. In the meantime, I don't see how he's treating your main complaint of penile and anal itching. I guess scratching yourself is not his concern.
"Maybe I should go find a better doc." If a physician gives you a prescription of doxycycline for a simple case of balanitis and anal candida, then finding a better doctor seems a reasonable decision.

Good luck.

DrHanson
DrHanson
DrHanson