Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Awarded, licensed dentist with over 13 years experience
99431558

I have dental problem and want to see a dentist. But I don't

I have dental problem and want to see a dentist. But I don't know if it is a good time since Covid-19.
JA: The Dentist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?
Customer: About one year and a half ago.
JA: Can you see or feel anything else in your mouth that is causing concern?
Customer: I think I have caries.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Dentist should know?
Customer: And there are small black spots on my teeth. I feel painful these days.

Hi, there. At this point, dentists are only allowed to treat dental emergencies. If you’d like to try to send me some photos of your teeth, I can help you determine whether your dental problems warrant an emergency visit.

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, it is kind of difficult to take pictures of teeth inside.

Okay, that’s fine. We can continue chatting without them. They just give me much better information about your teeth so I’m able to provide better advice.

If you are in severe pain, you should call to find a dentist who is seeing emergency patients. You will have to call around to multiple offices because each dentist may have a different policy right now. If you are only in mild or moderate pain, you will want to try to manage it at home with over the counter medications until you can get in to see your dentist.

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks. It is just mild pain. I had taken some ibuprofen and feel better now. I have filled my teeth two years ago and haven't seen a dentist after that.

Okay, it’s possible that you don’t have any cavities at all, but are feeling pain from heavy clenching and/or grinding your teeth at night. Many people are experiencing higher levels of stress and that can cause heavy forces while you sleep. You may want to get an over-the-counter mouthguard to separate the teeth and protect them from heavy forces while you sleep.

Otherwise, just manage with ibuprofen as needed. You only need to see a dentist in person if your pain intensifies and is unmanageable with medication OR you develop a swelling in your mouth, face or neck.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
About two weeks ago, I started to feel pain when I eat sweet food or cold food. Then about two days ago, I started to feel severe pain for a whole night. After taking medicine I feel much better. But this morning, I used a mirror to observe my teeth and found several black spots on the surfaces of different teeth. And I can feel that the surface of one tooth is very rough. I don't know if it is cavities.

It certainly could be cavities. The dark color and rough texture do fit the description of a cavity. You mentioned that you saw a dentist 1.5 years ago. Did you have any cavities then?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I did. And I have about 4 teeth filled that time.

Did you have ALL of the cavities treated at that time? Or do you know that there were more cavities that were not filled?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I don't know if I have all of the cavities treated at that time. I think that I may have some new cavities
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
One looks like this.

Okay, I’m SO glad you were able to attach that photo. That gives me a MUCH better idea of where you are. If that tiny little black spot is a cavity, it is a very small one, and it will NOT progress to becoming a dental emergency before the dentists are back in business! So that is good news.

Your sensitivity is likely due to some gum recession and/or teeth grinding at night. You can purchase anti-sensitivity toothpaste, which may help, and wear an OTC mouthguards as I recommended earlier.

But the good news is that this is NOT a large cavity that requires immediate attention.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I took two other pictures.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hopefully you can see it more clearly.

Yes, I can see those very clearly. The good news is that there are NO teeth showing evidence of large decay that could develop into an emergency within the next 3-6 months.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Great. Thank you so much. Do you have any other suggestions on choosing a toothbrush and brush tooth method? Are electric toothbrushes and floss helpful?Do you recommend to brush teeth immediately after each meal.

Any toothbrush is fine as long as it has soft bristles. An electric toothbrush will probably help you remove more plaque than a manual toothbrush. There are great instructional videos for brushing and flossing on youtube. I recommend those because it is much easier to watch a video than try to read through a written explanation. And YES, floss is essential to keeping your teeth clean.

It isn’t necessary to brush immediately after a meal. The most important thing is brushing and flossing before bedtime so that you go to sleep with clean teeth.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yes, thank you very much.

You’re welcome! I am happy to help. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please don’t forget to give me a rating.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

P.S. If you have any future dental questions, you can reach me directly at: https://www.justanswer.com/dental/expert-laracoseoddsfagd/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Should I keep off sweet foods and carbonated drinks?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I got toothache when I eat these foods.

Yes, you should definitely avoid the foods and drinks that make your teeth hurt! Carbonated drinks are acidic and sweets can cause cavities. Best to avoid them until you can see the dentist.

Dr. Lara