Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

My temporary crown just fell off. The permanent cement is

My temporary crown just fell off. The permanent cement is exposed on top of my tooth. It’s GC Fuji Plus. I’m allergic to most temp cements because of clove oil. I just read somewhere that if you’re exposed orally to cement it can cause your tastebuds to not work anymore. Is this true? I’m seeing my dentist tomorrow to remedy it. But I can’t sleep thinking my mouth is at risk of chemical exposure or losing taste
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I also wanted to ask. There’s a lot of extra cement at the gum line at the back of the tooth. Is there a safe way for my dentist to remove this before he places the permanent?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have very sensitive gums

I just read somewhere that if you’re exposed orally to cement it can cause your tastebuds to not work anymore. Is this true?

-------- This is a gross exaggeration, there wont be any dramatic effect like this. Dont worry, this wont happen.

I’m allergic to most temp cements because of clove oil.

-------- This particular permanent cement does not contain any clove oil.

But I can’t sleep thinking my mouth is at risk of chemical exposure or losing taste

------ Relax and go to sleep, there is no risk of loss of taste.

Is there a safe way for my dentist to remove this before he places the permanent?

------ The safest way is that the dentist will remove the extra cement by a hand scaling instrument. All the extra cement will be picked up by the suction tube, dont worry.

Does this answer your question?

Dr.Behere

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi yes! Thank you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
A tiny part of the temp crown is still attached
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It’s a little sharp- would orthodontic wax on it help?

Yes absolutely ! Its the best thing you can do to protect such sharp edges in the mouth.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Perfect. Wax is on! Thank you

Welcome! Thank you for the accept and rating.

The next time you have a dental question, you can directly post it for me by going to https://www.justanswer.com/dental/expert-drbehere also begin the question with... " FOR DR BEHERE ONLY..."

Have a great day:-)

Regards,

Dr. Behere