Dental

My nine year old kid is having problems with his jaw really…

My nine year old kid...
My nine year old kid is having problems with his jaw really bothering him. What could be the causes of this?... Read full answer
My nine year old kid is having problems with his jaw really bothering him. What could be the causes of this?
2/17/2019
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Sorry your 9 year old is having problems with his jaw.

Are there any teeth that are bothering your child?.

Is there any swelling?

No other problems just a very sore/uncomfortable jaw for about a month nowNo swelling

Glad to hear that there is no swelling or teeth that are bothering your child.

Any recent accident or trauma?

It is unusual for a 9 year old to have TMJ issues and if that is not the cause then it could be stress related or an anxiety issue.

Anything bothering him/her at school or at home?

He’s not easily bothered but he’s a high stress individual. It could be that. Is there a treatment protocol for this?

Yes there is but he would need to be seen by a dentist to be sure there is nothing physically (anatomic) that is causing the problem.

An exam along with Xrays are needed to rule that out before treating for anxiety or stress.

A month is too long to have issues and he does need to be seen as soon as possible.

Waiting is not an option for your son.

Do you have a dentist?

Have you noticed if he clenches or grinds his teeth at night?

Root Canal Doctor
sir! We will take him this week! I have not noticed but I’ll sure keep an eye on it

You are very welcome!

Once the correct diagnosis is made he can be helped so please try not to worry.

He will be helped with this!!

If your dentist cannot figure out what is happening then ask to be referred to a Pedodontist for help.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Have a nice evening! :):)

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have an eight year old son that will be turning nine in
I have an eight year old son that will be turning nine in February. I know that it is a case by case basis, but around what age do you see children get braces on average? He said only two other childr… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
My 7 year old had tooth damage when he was two from falling
my 7 year old had tooth damage when he was two from falling on top of his dog :). where it went completely back into his gum and then came down..and both front teeth became very dark and stained....i … read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
Dentist (DDS or equivalent),
5 year old boy lower teeth/jaw starting to protrude out. i
5 year old boy lower teeth/jaw starting to protrude out. i understand there is a mouth gear they wear and an exercise to teach them that can help with this. can you let me know what is the best option… read more
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Owner,
Doctor of Dental Surgery
Stop searching for answers—
2 Splints one thicker than the other I have 2 splints that
2 Splints one thicker than the otherI have 2 splints that have been made for me by my dentist one thicker than the other one. The thicker one is kept in my university halls and the other (new) thinner… read more
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Owner,
Doctor of Dental Surgery
Second opinion] Unsure if I have a tooth issue or TMD.
Second opinion] Unsure if I have a tooth issue or TMD. Started a week ago with inner ear pain, then sinus/cheekbone, then jaw. Godawful pain, stinging, aching. Teeth never hurt to brush, floss, or tap… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
Dentist (DDS or equivalent),
Seven yr olds son's jaw starting popping while eating or
Seven yr olds son's jaw starting popping while eating or opening mouth wide and is causing pain. What should we do?… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
Dentist (DDS or equivalent),
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Another question about my 11 year old, different from the 12
Another question about my 11 year old, different from the 12 year old but also has braces (last kid, I have three boys, 15, 12 and 11). OK, his bite was off so much that the orthodontics school (WVU) … read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Is it safe for a 6 year old to have multiple teeth, tooth
Is it safe for a 6 year old to have multiple teeth, tooth remove? Really bad case of tooth decay, the kid loves sweets since he could suck on a lollipop. Now his in pain, basically all his front teeth… read more
Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser
Family and Cosmetic Dentist,
DDS
My five yr old lost his first tooth and the new one is
My five yr old lost his first tooth and the new one is coming in pretty crooked. Is this normal since there isn't much room? Will it straighten out as he loses more teeth… read more
drbigreddog
drbigreddog
I am 22 years old and I have noticed for over a year now
Hi there, I am 22 years old and I have noticed for over a year now that my right side of my jaw is more defined than the left side of my jaw which is rounder and appears rather slack. I chew my food o… read more
drbigreddog
drbigreddog
I am a 25 year old female. On January 30th of last year, I
Hello! I am a 25 year old female. On January 30th of last year, I underwent double jaw surgery to correct a malocclusion. I was classified as having "long face syndrome". Although I had a bad bite, I … read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
My son had a tooth that fell out when he was 13 in a dirt
My son had a tooth that fell out when he was 13 in a dirt bike accident. The dentist was able to put the tooth back in and it took (it did fuse to the bone/jaw). He did have braces on and got the brac… read more
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel
Dental Surgeon,
Stop searching for answers—
Is reconstruction of the jaw necessary after osteomyelitis?
Is reconstruction of the jaw necessary after osteomyelitis? My father had an infection of the bone which has been treated and cured. His dentist would like to rebuild the area affected in the jaw bone… read more
Two years ago I wen extensive teeth replacement, including 5
Hi Dr. Two years ago I wen extensive teeth replacement, including 5 implants and every tooth in my mouth grinded and replacement...the jaw I would assume took a beating.... It seems since then I have … read more
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dentist,
I haven't called my dentist yet...My jaw keeps popping and
I haven't called my dentist yet...My jaw keeps popping and it bothers me to open my mouth too wide. I also feel sick to my stomach and the side of my face is swollen. I am also having terrible headach… read more
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dentist,
I got my wisdom teeth removed 2 years ago. I had a ball of i
I got my wisdom teeth removed 2 years ago. I had a ball of i think scar tissue that moves on my lower left side jaw. It never really bothered me since the surgery, but not it is extremely painful. Wha… read more
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dentist,
Dr. McKee helped me before so hopefully he can again. I
Dr. McKee helped me before so hopefully he can again. I managed to live 52 yrs. without a toothache however I recently had to have a few old fillings re-filled and one was bonded. These were teeth in … read more
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dentist,
Our 14 year old son indicates his jaw hurts. He has not
Our 14 year old son indicates his jaw hurts. He has not sustained any injury. The pain comes and goes, but has been bothering him for several weeks. Do we start with an MD, DDS or an orthodontist? Wha… read more
Dr. John
Dr. John