Dental

Hx: More than 5 yrs ago, I heard a crackling in my right ear…

Hx: More than 5...

Hx: More than 5 yrs ago, I heard a crackling in my right ear and that immediately led to my tympanic membrane bursting. I didn't even have an earache...no pain whatsoever before this happened. My ear began bleeding. In the months following, I felt as if there was some crystallization deep down in my... Read full answer

Hx: More than 5 yrs ago, I heard a crackling in my right ear and that immediately led to my tympanic membrane bursting. I didn't even have an earache...no pain whatsoever before this happened. My ear began bleeding. In the months following, I felt as if there was some crystallization deep down in my ear along my neck behind my jaw. Fast forward a few years and I have had several incidents where my salivary glands below my ears became SO painful, like when eating something really sour, but 50x worse for no reason...when I am not eating anything. This has happened about 4x's in last 4 yrs. I had a back/bottom capped molar pulled earlier this year that we [dentist and I] thought was a loose cap. I had been experiencing off and on pain with that tooth for the last several years so when dentist went to pull cap off, the whole tooth came out. Now, in the past few months, I experience SEVERE pain sometimes when eating, as my jaw will clamp down on something below my right ear sending me into TEARS instantly. I know for a fact this is not TMJ. There is something my jaw is smashing. A few weeks ago this happened and it felt like I was being stabbed with an ice pick SO BADLY that I cried for a long time and just curled up and went to bed. Yesterday it happened twice, and today once. I am in SO much pain and now I cannot bring my teeth together. What might be going on? Could my tooth have caused an infection long ago I wasn't aware of that caused a structural change in my ear anatomy?

Doctor's Assistant: How much are your gums bleeding? Only when brushing and flossing, or even when not?

??

Doctor's Assistant: What confuses you?

I am talking about my ear not gums

Doctor's Assistant: Can you see or feel anything else in your mouth that is causing concern?

No

11/13/2018
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello. I am reviewing your information and will respond shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to hear you have been struggling with these symptoms for some time. It sounds as though recently it has really affected your life. I am sorry about that. Without being able to do a physical exam, it is difficult to ascertain the cause of your symptoms. Given this has been going on for a significant period of time, I would recommend seeing an oral & maxillofacial surgeon or ENT doctor. They are the expert in the anatomy that is giving your problems right now. It is impossible to say without an exam and x rays if this is from your ear or your temporomandibular joint. I suspect, given the change in your bite, this is related to your temporomandibular joint (the ball and socket joint near your ear). You may have something called disk displacement without reduction. There is a disc that normally fits between the ball and socket joint of your lower jaw (this is immediately adjacent to your ear canal and can feel like it is within your ear). This disc can become displaced and cause severe pain, problems with your teeth coming together and the other symptoms your mentioned. The best way to evaluate this problem is with an MRI of the TMJ. Screening films with a Panorex and CBCT can also be helpful to determine the cause. I think the first step would be to see an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon that treats patients that have dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint. I hope this is helpful. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
I really believe this is something more of a salivary gland problem than bone. It feels more of a fleshy issue than bone, as it is in the same area where sourness affects a response. Thanks for giving it a shot.

Of course. It is my pleasure. Thank you for using JustAnswer. An MRI (although expensive) is the best imaging to evaluate salivary glands as well. The disk is a soft tissue and when its displaced causes you to be unable to bring your teeth together. The salivary gland by your ear (parotid gland) can get stones and infection and cause ear pain but it would be accompanied by an inability to close your teeth together.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I've been having pain in my left jaw joint for about a month
I've been having pain in my left jaw joint for about a month it started after I had a molar pulled out in my lower left side crunching sound in my joint the muscles in the jaw joint feel different tha… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
My wisdom teeth were pulled over 40 years ago. Tooth 31 is
My wisdom teeth were pulled over 40 years ago. Tooth 31 is my farthest right bottom tooth. It was capped my years ago. The cap recently popped off. The dentist said I am developing an infection, but t… read more
Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser
Family and Cosmetic Dentist,
DDS
I had an impacted wisdom tooth extracted 6 days ago and my
Hi, I had an impacted wisdom tooth extracted 6 days ago and my tongue on the left side is still numb. At first it felt totally numb and I couldn't even feel differences in temperature (eg when drinkin… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
Stop searching for answers—
I have been having extreme pain in my jaw for several weeks,
I have been having extreme pain in my jaw for several weeks, ever since I had the flu.I thought it was coming from an upper molar on the left side but my dentist says there is no infection/abscess the… read more
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Internal Medicine Physician,
My jaw on left side produces a cracking sound when i open it
My jaw on left side produces a cracking sound when i open it completely and feels a bit stiff to open. Its all on the right side. Few days back, I was eating something and had a soft drink later. Mome… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
I had a crown put on my bottom right molar and for the last
I had a crown put on my bottom right molar and for the last 5 months I have had ear pain, jaw pain on my right side and tooth sensitivity on the right side. I am taking 6-9 advil a day. Could the 2nd … read more
Doc1102
Doc1102
Cosmetic, Restorative & Family Dentist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I'm a healthy 59 year old male. I recently had a root canal
Hello...I'm a healthy 59 year old male. I recently had a root canal performed on my lower right molar (#30 mandibular ?)...third in from back of mouth. I've had two prior root canals years ago (differ… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
What is making my jaw hurt? I have a crown on the top right
What is making my jaw hurt? I have a crown on the top right side put on in January. Also, I had a root canal (6 years ago) on the top right (last) tooth which broke and I now need to get it extracted.… read more
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dentist,
I had root canal work done 3 weeks ago. My dentist whom I
I had root canal work done 3 weeks ago. My dentist whom I have been going to for 43 years, ( I am 54) "put a liner" and restoration work on my tooth that was formed without enamel and sealed it. This … read more
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dentist,
My jaw hurts so bad. It also is making my ear ache. The pain
My jaw hurts so bad. It also is making my ear ache. The pain is so sharp and intense. does this mean that I have an infection in my tooth? Do I need to get antibiotics to get rid of the infection, if … read more
Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff
Private General Practice Dentist,
For approx 6 months i have been experiencing severe neck
For approx 6 months i have been experiencing severe neck ache, jaw ache and soft swellings at the base of my neck. Eventually i visited my GP who could find nothing wrong. Then a couple of weeks ago,m… read more
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dentist,
I have a dentist appointment Thursday but i am wondering if
Hello I have a dentist appointment Thursday but i am wondering if u can help. I need a tooth pulled on my top left jaw and i have a few metel fillings on my lower left jaw. The past 2 months off and o… read more
bpkdds
bpkdds
Stop searching for answers—
I have an appointment with a dentist tomorrow but am
Hi I have an appointment with a dentist tomorrow but am terrified at what they might tell me. I went a year ago and was told I needed a filling but that it was not urgent. I have had no pain and I hav… read more
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Practicing Dental Surgeon,
I recently had a tooth out which has really unsettled all of
I recently had a tooth out which has really unsettled all of my teeth. I thought they had started to settle down but yesterday, out of the blue, I am certain I heard a snap inside my head and felt the… read more
Julian Chen
Julian Chen
Dentist,
I have a swollen area around the base of my right ear and
I have a swollen area around the base of my right ear and the joint of my jaw bones, with slight difficulty in opening my jaw. This is located close to a molar in my jaw which my dentist filled when I… read more
Dr. Winterholler
Dr. Winterholler
Dentist,
I had a tooth capped (lower right last one)and it just never
I had a tooth capped (lower right last one)and it just never seemed right from the begining. I kept going back for an ajustment because I thought the bite wasn't right. Well I started having alot of p… read more
Julian Chen
Julian Chen
Dentist,
I've developed an abcess from a fractured tooth in my upper
I've developed an abcess from a fractured tooth in my upper jaw. I have been taking cleocin 150mg 4x/day for 4 days and the swelling in my pallet is getting bigger. I have severe pain at the site of t… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
This might be a question sorry i had a tooth irrated me as
this might be a long question sorry i had a tooth irrated me as so i thought it was the tooth and they did a root canal when he did root canal he accidentally numb the nerve i felt so good havent felt… read more
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dentist,