Dental

Nineteen months ago I had a root canal. story but the root…

Nineteen months ago I had...
Nineteen months ago I had a root canal. Long story but the root canal had to be done through a crown and it took 4 months from the time I first noticed a problem with the tooth until the time I had the root canal done. I have had no problem with this tooth until last month when the... Read full answer
Nineteen months ago I had a root canal. Long story but the root canal had to be done through a crown and it took 4 months from the time I first noticed a problem with the tooth until the time I had the root canal done. I have had no problem with this tooth until last month when the crown came off because a piece of the tooth beneath broke. The dentist place a small post in this tooth and built it up and placed a temporary crown on it. It took about 3 weeks from the time I had the crown come off until this work could be done. Within 24 hours of the post being placed and the temp crown being put on, the tooth started to hurt, The dentist filed down the crown thinking it was sitting too high but that did not help. The tooth aches like it did prior to the original root canal. What could be the issue here given that the tooth is theoretically dead and has no nerve to cause pain? I want to return to the dentist but I want to go in with some idea if possible so I can ask the right questions. Thanks
8/29/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there. I’m happy to help you with your dental question. The most common cause of the pain (which it sounds like the dentist addressed) is an improper bite. That will probably be the first thing he or she will check again. The question you need to ask is whether or not the root canal is still healthy. Was there any sign that the integrity of the root canal was compromised? Sometimes when a crown comes off with a portion of broken tooth, the access (opening) into the root canal is exposed to oral bacteria. In rare cases, just being exposed to saliva can compromise the integrity of a root canal. So basically, you need to ensure that the root canal was not contaminated. If your dentist is unsure, you can ask him or her to refer you to an endodontist (root canal specialist) to evaluate the root canal before the new crown is placed.

Does that make sense?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

thanks

What other questions can I answer for you?

Dr. Lara

Should that turn out to be the case would I then need a second root canal?

Yes, if the root canal is contaminated, causing a re-infection of the old root canal, then a second root canal, called a retreatment, is the treatment to fix it.

Dr. Lara

Thanks

You’re welcome! I am happy to help. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please don’t forget to give me a rating.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

P.S. If you have any future dental questions, you can reach me directly at: https://www.justanswer.com/dental/expert-laracoseoddsfagd/?rpt=3800

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I had a tooth that required a root canal after a crown had
I had a tooth that required a root canal after a crown had been placed on the tooth. The endodontist had to do the root canal through the crown. This was about a year and a half ago. Three weeks ago t… read more
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Dentist (DDS or equivalent),
Doctor of Dental Surgery
I need help concerning a possible root canal. I had tooth
I had tooth sensitivity especially to pressure for a few months. Then a piece broke off of my tooth and I went to a dentist. He filed it down and got it ready for a crown. The crown is made but he is concerned because I still have some sensitivity. I don't know if it is infected or what the situation is and I am afraid of putting on the permanent Crown if it needs a root canal. … read more
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Dentist (DDS or equivalent),
Doctor of Dental Surgery
Recently i noticed i have a broken piece off one of my
Hi. Recently i noticed i have a broken piece off one of my molars. It does not hurt all the time . Only occasionaly when i eat..sometimes with cold things. I attached a pic. It is not the whole molar … read more
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dentist,
DDS
Stop searching for answers—
I had a root canal done 2 weeks ago, a temp crown was placed
I had a root canal done 2 weeks ago, a temp crown was placed 2 days later, the dentist filed down the tooth before putting on the temporary. I went in today to get my permanent crown placed and was to… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
I went to my dentist to have a tooth pulled. It is a lower
I went to my dentist to have a tooth pulled. It is a lower molar. He suggested a root canal, but I said, "Are you sure that is a good idea? I have looked at the tooth carefully, and it has cracks in i… read more
kleindmd
kleindmd
My edge of my tooth broke and there is a lot of decay so my
My edge of my tooth broke and there is a lot of decay so my dentist says that I need a crown and post, my question is should I go for second opinion? Also how can he put a post if I have my root there… read more
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Dentist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I had a root canal several years ago and never got it
i had a root canal several years ago and never got it crowned. THe tooth has broke to the gum line now. I had three options(2 for crown lengthening and crown 1 for implant) I trusted the crowning opin… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
I had a root canal in October 2010 and then crown on tooth
I had a root canal in October 2010 and then crown on tooth Feb 2011 (made in the office). Mid June 2013 was hospitalized for 5 days from abcess/facial cellulitis. Noticed dark area along margin. When … read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I had a temporary crown put on and it was painful to chew on
I had a temporary crown put on and it was painful to chew on it. Though, when not chewing, it didn't hurt at all. I gave it a month to calm down and it did minorly but still hurt. So my dentist referr… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I had a root canal done on tooth #4. The dentist build my
I had a root canal done on tooth #4. The dentist build my insurance for a post core build up, a pin and post and a crown. She did not o any of this I only had a temporary filling that was put in once … read more
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel
Dental Surgeon,
On 4/4, I had a root canal on my lower right back tooth
On 4/4, I had a root canal on my lower right back tooth (either Bicuspid or Molar). At this time a temporary crown was placed which has sit slipped out and I used 'RECAPIT' fit it back since the denti… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
University of Texas Dental School in Houston performed a
University of Texas Dental School in Houston performed a root canal 2 months ago and my temporary crown and part of the molar broke off yesterday. I saved the piece of molar and I'm not in pain. The d… read more
bpkdds
bpkdds
Stop searching for answers—
My Dentist was installing a crown after a root canal and the
My Dentist was installing a crown after a root canal and the crown cracked just as the glue was setting. He broke off the shaft of the crown leaving it in the "core" of the natural tooth, while he was… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I had a tooth filed down and temp crown put on last week.
i had a tooth filed down and temp crown put on last week. When I bite down on that tooth I get a shooting pain. What could be the cause… read more
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dentist,
I had a root canal done on an upper front tooth that had a
I had a root canal done on an upper front tooth that had a cap on it already with no post. Four days latter the tooth broke off and there appears to be a piece of metal sticking out of the root. The m… read more
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dentist,
Dental Question. Cap on tooth #8 broke which requires
Dental Question. Cap on tooth #8 broke which requires rebuilding and a new cap. Family hygenist says tooth is dead so root canal is not needed and just away to make more money. Two dentists want root … read more
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dentist,
My dentist left a tiny piece of titanium in my tooth during
my dentist left a tiny piece of titanium in my tooth during a procedure. He siad it was sterile and causes no damage to the tooth,but I am having a lot of pain. should I be worried?… read more
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dentist,
I have an upcoming appointment for possible root canal or
I have an upcoming appointment for possible root canal or exraction if tooyh is unrestorable(?) ...there is decay where a piece of the sidewall broke off the tooth, between it and the next tooth (mola… read more
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dentist,