Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

10 years ago, had a botched root canal on a lower molar – it…

Customer Question
10 years ago, had a...
10 years ago, had a botched root canal on a lower molar – it doesn’t go to the ends of the roots, too much structure removed, etc. But it caused no problems until recently, when the post broke and crown loosened. Endodontist offered to remove/replace post. But dentist says that as long as the crown is coming off, I should have the whole root canal redone. If a root canal is asymptomatic, is it necessary to redo entirely? Will it prolong the tooth’s life, or just weaken it and risk fracturing?
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dental
5/29/2018
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 26 days ago
Just Dental Truths!

Hello! Thank you for asking your question, I'm reviewing it now and will reply back to you in a few moments.

From what you have typed above, it sounds like if it were myself in your shoes, I would NOT have a root canal redone, and especially if the Endodontist didn't mention the need to do so. After all, the Endodontist would know best! Root canals and re-Root canals, are pretty much all he does, and are his "SPECIALTY"!

Does that make sense?

Dr. Rampton

*Note: Might you have a x-ray of the tooth, that I could view? Not essential, but may be helpful... Thanks!

Did I understand you correctly, that the Endodontist didn't suggest or recommend the Root canal be redone?