Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a tooth that I had a root canal years ago that never…

Customer Question
I have a tooth...

I have a tooth that I had a root canal years ago that never seem right, On x-rays the tooth always looks perfect. Yet when weather changes or a front is coming and even the storms are in our area the tooth really can be painful. I brush with Sensitive tooth paste and it helps also take Extra Strength Excedrin and Ora gel or some numbing gel. I have had the root canal done over but always the same pain returns and never feels right. I have had other root canals and no problem. No dentist has been able to correct. I wonder if it is the gums? If the current continues I would consider a extraction. The last root canal I had was on tooth 15. My most recent dentist appointment said tooth 18 needed a new filling. Is the Universal system of numbering teeth and naming used in the U

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?

No. My tooth feels like it swells and feels like it expands toward the center of my mouth. The truth is I have been having this since about 2000 with this tooth. Seems pain is getting worse.

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

I do not know if a dentist I need to see or go to another kind of specialized doctor. The dentist I have gone to will tell me it is all in my head. So I do not mention it and just pray something will show. It is the bottom left tooth and according to the universal chart it would be tooth 18.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dental
5/29/2018
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 21 days ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, sorry that no one can figure out what is happening with this tooth.

Just to clarify, #15 is the tooth that you are speaking about?

Was your root canal done by your general dentist both times?

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Cancel.

OK! Good luck.

Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 21 days ago
Just Dental Truths!

Just to weigh in a bit here.

Your situation has been heard before by myself, and likely most other Dentists as well. Not often granted, but on occasion.

Unfortunately however, modern science has not yet found the reasoning for the"WHY" rational of why your tooth feels the way you have mentioned above. I know this is frustrating for you. It would be for me as well, if I were in your shoes. However, sadly, not yet everything is known in all subject matter, as I'm certain you all too well are aware of.

That said, I'll leave you on that note. Fully realizing it will not help you much if any, but I did want you to know that many Dentists and Endodontists have heard of your scenario - we sadly though do NOT have the science known to explain the "WHY" you have the frustrating problem that you do.

Dr. Rampton

*PS: If I can assist in any other way - please do not hesitate to ask - OK?