Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had some ice cream last night after dinner then a cup of…

Customer Question
Hi. I had some...

Hi. I had some ice cream last night after dinner then a cup of ice. Maybe 30 minutes later my teeth started really hurting, almost unbearably and I've never experienced this before. I've made an appointment to see a dentist tomorrow but how long does this pain usually last? It started around 11pm last night and is still persisting

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Since last night, it's not as severe as it was then but it still hurts

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dental
5/27/2018
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 2 months ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine

Your subjective symptoms suggest the onset of an acute pulpitis-- an irreversible inflammation of the pulp of one of your teeth. Pulpitis is usually the result of deep tooth decay, but may also follow the placement of a deep dental filling, a traumatic injury to a tooth, or advanced periodontal (gum) disease. The duration of pain is highly variable, and may or may not subside by the time you see your dentist.

Treatment of acute pulpitis ordinarily involves root canal therapy, followed by restoration (structural re-building) of the involved tooth. This assumes, however, that there are no factors that might preclude a successful root canal (i.e., morphological factors in the tooth or systemic issues with your health), that the tooth is structurally and periodontally sound, and that the tooth is functionally and/or cosmetically important to merit such effort. If not, an alternative to root canal therapy might be the removal of the tooth.

Good luck tomorrow!

Hi, that's quite concerning. Does that mean my teeth have to be pulled out?
what can I do to ease my pain in the meantime?

Exactly what direction your treatment will take will be clarified after a formal diagnostic session with your dentist, x-rays, etc. As I said previously, the two alternative treatments would ordinarily be either extraction or root canal therapy, but there is the possibility that your pain has an as yet undisclosed source. That is why a proper assessment must necessarily precede the formulation of a treatment strategy.

A good approach to analgesia, assuming you have normal liver and kidney function, is to take 1000 mg of acetaminophen with 400 mg of ibuprofen every 6 to 8 hours as needed for pain. Do not combine these medications with alcoholic beverages or any other medication that stresses the liver, and use caution if you have a history of gastritis, peptic ulcer, or diminished kidney function.

Good luck!

thanks a lot!

You're welcome!