Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I am experiencing pain when pressure is applied to my upper…

Customer Question
I am experiencing pain...

I am experiencing pain when pressure is applied to my upper tooth and the same when I bite down. What could hat be?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

Looks like a little swelling in the gum. This has been going on for a few months on again off again with the sensativity

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I am also dealing with gingivitis

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dental
4/3/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 3 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Pain to biting pressure and swelling in the vicinity of the tooth that is hurting is generally a sign that there is an abscessed or infected tooth. Without seeing an X-ray of the area, I cannot confirm that diagnosis but it would be wise for you to get this area xrayed ASAP. Swelling in the mouth left untreated only gets worse.When was the last time that you saw a dentist?

Pain to biting pressure could be also related to your bite being off. This happens when there are missing teeth that have not been replaced or can be caused by severe grinding and clenching. Again an X-ray of your mouth would help me give you more specific information.Gingivitis can lead to periodontal disease which can make the teeth loose and also cause pain to biting pressure and can cause localized swelling.

Thank you so much that was what I was also thinking

You are welcome. If the swelling is getting worse,you will need to get on an antibiotic and get in to see your dentist ASAP.

Once you get the X-ray of your mouth,I would be glad to review it for you when you upload it.

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks