Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

It’s been two months since I placed an all ceramic permanent…

Customer Question
It’s been two months since...
It’s been two months since I placed an all ceramic permanent crown on a healthy molar (no root canal done), but I felt it’s not a good fit with my bite from beginning. I developed some TMJ muscle, shoulder, and neck tenderness and soreness on the other side of my teeth, opposite from where the crown is placed. My dentist kept assuring me that all uncomfortable symptoms would go away in one month, but I still feel I am applying more force on the opposite side of my mouth which made me think the crown is not fitting. I did an occlusion T-scan test with a neuromuscular dentist and it showed that the crown is not touching the opposing teeth properly and causing an imbalanced force in my overall bite. The neuromuscular dentist suggested to re-do the crown.At this stage, is it safe to replace a new crown which was placed two months back only? Is the removal procedure easy? How high the risk of getting any root damage or gum sensitivity? And should I consider a second opinion from another specialist?
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dental
4/1/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 21 days ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

I think that you opened a new question that is a duplicate question. You may want to contact the moderator on the site and have them delete that question so that they will not charge you twice. The crown can be removed but it is destroyed in the process. These all ceramic crowns are made by a computer and are very difficult to adjust. Your dentist should have never let you leave the office without adjusting your bite properly.If the dentist has the proper burs and the crown has a good fit as far as the seal of the fit on the tooth,the crown can be adjusted so that your bite will be normal again.I do not like using these type of crowns because of their difficulty in being able to adjust them. A porcelain fused to metal crown will give a better seal and has a protective gold inner core that provides better protection for the tooth. These type of crowns are also less expensive than the all porcelain ones.

As long as plenty of water is used when cutting off the old crown,if that is the decision,you should not have any problem with the pulp or gum sensitivity. There is no real reason for another consult if you can confirm that you started having these problems when the crown was cemented. A high crown throwing off your bite can cause temporomandibular joint problems leading to headaches jaw aches,earaches and pain on the side of the head and neck.The longer that the bite is left imbalanced ,the more pain and problems that you will have.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 20 days ago

Can you please leave a rating when you get a chance? We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)