Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My lower jaw is sensitive to touch and seems a bit swollen.

Customer Question
My lower jaw is...

My lower jaw is sensitive to touch and seems a bit swollen. I do not have a toothache or any sensitivity in my mouth. Should I be seeing a dentist or a doctor?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No injuries, about 4 days.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I have severe asthma, and high blood pressure. Was just on a second round of prednisone for low blood oxygen

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/30/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Where exactly on the jaw is it swollen? Is it just one side or both sides? Does the swollen area appear red or soft on the skin? Can you upload a picture of the area?

Sore along jaw in front of the hinge. Sorry camera broken. No redness only one side

Do you mean in front of the ear or at the angle of the lower jaw?The only hinge area is at the TM joint in front of the ear.

Is it under the lower jaw or is it your cheek area?

I am not sure what happened to you but I need to go and feed the animals. Most swellings in the jaw are due to infected teeth, It is possible to have an infected tooth and have no other symptoms. Other jaw swellings could involve a blockage in the parotid gland and that would cause some cheek swelling. Other minor causes could be cysts or tumors. Without a picture an X-ray or a better description of the exact location of the swelling,I cannot be more specific than that.For a definite diagnosis , a panorex X-ray needs to be taken.A trip to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon would be a one stop visit would give you a quick diagnosis