Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My wisdom teeth have been removed. But on my left lower in…

Customer Question
My wisdom teeth have...

My wisdom teeth have been removed. But on my left lower in the back, my gum is swollen and it’s extremely painful. Causing my whole left side to hurt and barely able to open my mouth. Can you help me please?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No recent injuries. The pain started today but the sensitivity started about two days ago.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I don’t have any cavities. I went to the dentist in January, but I am due for a cleaning. That’s all though

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dental
I can hardly bite down.
3/28/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 3 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Can you upload a picture of the area in question so that I can get a better idea of what is going on?

Here’s a picture. Hope you can see what I’m talking about

This area can sometimes get inflamed due to the bone loss that occurred from the wisdom tooth that used to be distal to the second molar. An X-ray of the area may show a boney defect that allows food to get lodged behind the second molar causing a localized gingivitis. If you cannot dislodge what is back there,your dentist can do it for you. Sometimes we need to do a procedure called a " distal wedge procedure" that repositions where the gum attaches behind the second molar to eliminate the food trap. This is a fairly common occurrence. I would need to see an X-ray of the area to confirm that for you. Using a water pik and rinsing with some 3% hydrogen peroxide diluted 1:1 can help stop the inflammation in this area.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

No. You’ve been so helpful, I made an appointment with my dentist to see them first thing this early morning.

Great. Can you please leave a rating? We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks