Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had my 4 wisdom teeth extracted 6 days ago, and since then…

Customer Question
I had my 4...

I had my 4 wisdom teeth extracted 6 days ago, and since then I have been taking antibiotics, paracetamol, and rinsing my mouth a few times daily with salt water as instructed by the surgeon.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have any gum pain? Do you any discomfort in your jaw?

My cheeks have swollen inside over the area where my wisdom teeth were, so now when I bite down I'm biting on my cheeks. The area that's swollen is very painful and red. I initially thought this pain was just from the gums where the teeth were, but looked in a mirror today now that I can open my mouth a bit better. My gums are still aching a bit as well.

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

I'd like to know how I can reduce the swelling of my cheeks and reduce the pain.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
I was given general anaesthetic and a "block"(?) so I still numb 12 hours after the surgery, and I believe I was biting down quite hard during that time as I couldn't feel anything. I think this has lead to my cheeks being so swollen and sore.
3/28/2018
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, thanks for the explanation of your sore cheeks. This can occur when you have anesthesia that causes extended numbness. This will improve on its own each day as long as you do not continue to traumatize your cheeks. Avoid starching or opening your mouth too wide and continue with the warm salt water rinses.
Salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face.For pain you can take 2 Advil (Paracetamol) (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a narcotic prescription medication.
It is a pity you were unaware you were biting your cheeks. Hang I there and in a few days things will be vastly improved for you. Does all this make sense to you?

Are you still there?