Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a crown put on tooth #14 I believe (top-my left side)

Customer Question
Hello. I had a crown...
Hello. I had a crown put on tooth #14 I believe (top-my left side) at around age 17. At age 32 appx the crown fell off. Underneath was a metal filling or buildup. The metal filling/buildup underneath was good as I could drink cold water and have no problem. They reattached crown and it fell off again. I just left crown off for 5 years then I was eating something, and a chip of the metal came off creating sensitivity at age 37.At age 38 The Dentist removed the old metal/buildup. Then said let’s add some buildup – I believe it started with a Y name brand. Since I have such small teeth I asked to please only remove the minimum amount of tooth structure as necessary. During Crown prepping process it felt like the Dentist was using a metal wire to wrap around my tooth. Even being numbed I could notice the wire wrapping around my tooth. He put a temp crown on and said the perm crown would be ready in about 2-3 weeks. I believe he was ordering a zirconium crown.The temp crown fell off last night and I’m out of town but looking at pictures I’m concerned with his work on this tooth. It seems very red around tooth. Like maybe the temp crown is pushed into my tooth tissue and the tissue never has a chance the heal or anything. Also, is a tooth under a crown supposed to be sensitive free if the crown is off? Or is that a big portion of the purpose of a crown to cover the tooth and limit contact to water/food as it’s going to be more sensitive? What do you think of these pictures? The temp crown seems to work fine except if I had water pick on LOWEST setting 1 and water got on specific spot of temp crown I would notice a sensation. Does this work look okay on this tooth? I’m concern how the dentist appears to have pushed back my tooth tissue so much, but maybe I’m not seeing that correctly.The 2nd pic is of the tooth before recent work with metal filling/buildup.If you could offer your advice as this tooth is sensitive now that temp crown fell off. Should I just put perm crown on and be done with it? The tooth seems inflamed around edges toohttps://youtu.be/FNivXcxX-sw
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dental
3/27/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 3 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

The tooth in question is very short and the crown will have some limited retention because of that.Is there any chance that you can upload the xrays of this tooth so that I can give you some more specific information about the tooth. The redness around the gum is most likely from the temporary crown being overextended under the gumline because the tooth is so short.

With a tooth this short,you may want to consider just having the root canal done prior to cementing the permanent crown to avoid any problems in the future. With a tooth this short,it is likely that the pulp is very close to the surface of the tooth and over time this can cause increased sensitivity.