Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a molar extracted Friday. I'm still in a good amount…

I had a molar...

I had a molar extracted Friday. I'm still in a good amount of pain despite being on pain reliever and antibiotics. I just checked the hole and there is a whitish yellow almost scrambled egg consistency in there. I also have a terrible taste in my mouth. Is this a normal part of the healing process?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

My cheek seems to be swollen almost over the hole. I have pain in my jaw and when I swallow.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I don't think so.

3/27/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Which antibiotic are you taking and how often are you taking it?

Penicillin v potassium 250mg one tablet every six hours

You are on the wrong dose. You should be taking 500 mg every six hours around the clock for six days. Was this a difficult extraction?

Was this a lower molar tooth? Do you have pain that extends up to the midline where your chin is?

it was. The tooth was badly decayed and the roots had fused together. The tooth had turned into a hook at the bottom making the extraction difficult.
lower left hand side. The pain goes into my ear and down my jaw like you said to my chin. It's also difficult to swallow.

The yellowish area is just granulation tissue that forms in the socket. The socket heals from the bottom up and takes about six weeks to heal completely. You may have lost the initial clot in the socket but that will correct itself.With a difficult extraction,it is normal to still be sore. I would up your dose of penicillin though to 500 mg every six hours. 250 mg will not give you a high enough blood level of penicillin.

Which pain medication are you taking?

Do I call my dentist and tell him I need a higher dose of penicillin? For pain I am taking hydrocodone-acetaminophine 7.5-325 one tab every 4-6 hours for pain

You just need to take two of the 250 mg tablets every 6 hours instead of one. If you don't have enough,you should ask for more and inform your dentist that the correct doseage for an adult is 500 mg every six hours.

Alternate your pain medicine every four hours with 600 mg of ibuprofen.It should give you some better relief.

Ok thank you. I should be ok, I think there are two refills on the prescription. I have also been rinsing with warm salt water. Is there anything else I can do to help the pain?

For more immediate pain relief, cut a piece of gauze pad 1 inch by 1/2 inch and coat it on both sides with Desitin ointment and then place it directly into the socket. Leave it there for 48 hours and then remove it. You do not want to rinse to much ,it will disturb the clot.

Is it possible I have a dry socket?

It is possible but a dry socket will correct itself. The dressing that I described is the treatment for dry socket. It normally comes from rinsing too much too soon.

Awesome. Thanks so much for your help.

You are welcome. I hope that you feel better soon

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)