Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Please/—-NOT DR KATZ!! I’m having anxiety again about my…

Please/—-NOT DR KATZ!!I’m having anxiety...
Please/—-NOT DR KATZ!!I’m having anxiety again about my apioectomy. It’s been a week now. The swelling around my chin area is gone. But it’s the same in my cheek as it was. The soreness seems to very slowly getting better, but still sore some if I move my mouth wrong or bump my cheek. It’s the swelling that’s not going away. And I’m just worried. My endodontist is on vacation. The post surgery instructions day discoloration and swelling should be gone in 5 or 6 days. But mine isn’t. Very worried that the swelling and a treensy bit of soreness remains in that area.
3/27/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, thanks for requesting me.
I realize that you are very anxious about the way the healing is progressing after your apicoectomy especially after reading the post op information. Those post op healing times are generalized and many cases will respond as written. However, you must remember that you also had considerable bruising resulting from the trauma as well as trauma from the needle pricks which will definitely lengthen the time needed for a full recovery. I did write this in your last question and said test because you had a hematoma, etc. it would take longer for you to heal. 10 days to 2 weeks at least would be needed. You are healing well and the progress is what is expected after your post op reaction so you need not worry. Especially since you have steady improvement in all areas daily. I know it is frustrating but your post op response is normal and so is the healing process. So please disregard the days required for healing in your post op sheet because yiur issue was much more involved which adds to the time required for total healing.
I hope this helps your anxiety and concern about your progress. :):)
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I guess it eases my concern a little bit. I realize that a molar like that would be more difficult than a front tooth. It makes sense that a front tooth would heal faster. I still have the echoes of that first doctor I had here who scared the crap out of me. Sorry! But he said my endodontist had poor injection techniques and also said this was risky surgery for someone my age and said I should be on antibiotic and blah blah blah. Anyway, I’m just concerned that the cheek swelling hasn’t begun to go down. However, the soreness is improving. How long can I expect for the sutures to absorb? They are still there, too.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I’m sorry I’m so anxious about this. I just figured I’d see at least some improvement on the swelling and am worried about infection.
Actually, this can happen to any tooth having an apicoectomy. The same trauma you had can occur with any tooth given the severity of the problem, extra injections, extent of infection, patients systemic response to trauma, etc.
I am sorry you were frightened by the first dentist’s response. The issues you had concerning the injections can happen anytime even from excellent dentists and his response to you was a bit disingenuous given his years in practice. I am sure that he has also had patients that have had reactions like your following extensive procedures. It is not more risky for a healthy patient, regardless of age, to have this type of procedure. Case selection and success probability should dictate whether the procedure should be attempted, regardless of age.
Antbiotics are not now needed unless your swelling was to increase and you had a fever. If your hematoma was hard and not soft and fluctuant as you started then an antbiotic should have been given. But for your reaction it was not needed.
As I mentioned in the question it will take a couple of weeks for the swelling to be gone and steady improvement that you are describing is an indication that things are progressing as expected. So no need to worry.
If you have resorbable sutures it could take a 7-10 days fir them to be fully resorted.
You do not need to worry about infection at this stage of your healing because it is responding as expected.
I know you anxious about this but please just forget about what the first dentist told you because he does not do apictomies on posterior teeth.
Just hang in there and each day you will be less anxious and more comfortable knowing things are going to be just fine. :):)
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you sooooo much. I’m trying to forget what the other dentist told me. I really am. He scared me, and I told him so. And he said he had my best interests at heart. Ha! I’ve been very very worried about infection, and even more fearful of antibiotics. I have such awful reactions. I’ve managed to avoid them now for 15 years, and their very thought sends me into a spin. I’ve had no fevers, and the swelling is very soft, and it has no hints of redness. I’m just very fatigued, but maybe my anxiety is zapping me. So at this point, am I hearing you say that I’m past the infection stage, and that this is normal at this time? You are absolutely wonderful. I’m probably the most anxious patient you’ve ever seen. :)
Sorry, but you are not my most anxious patien ever, lol. I cannot give you that honor! :)
Your reaction was all inflammatory and not infectious. Antibiotics do nothing for inflammation no natter how bad it is.
Inflammation is not bacterial in origin so no bacteria are involved. Your was trauma based not bacterial.
You are actually doing quite well given your surgery and you will continue to improve steadily. Just avoid any further injury or trauma in your mouth.
Anxiety can really play tricks with your thought processes and can be very debilitating and fatiguing as well.
Keep smiling and have a wonderful week! :):)
.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The endodontist said my abscess was quite contained, because a little bony structure had formed around it. Weird? Anyway, I know I was having discomfort when biting down. And now, so far, there is none. Thank you again. I wish I could rate higher than 5 stars for you.
Rate me twice, lol.
Thanks for the kind words.
Keep smiling! :):)
Root Canal Doctor
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Please please—— one more question. Tonight after dinner, I noticed that most of my stitches were coming out. Yay! Also, along with that I lost a little more uncomfortable pain in that lower jaw area. Yay again! I could feel them with my tongue and now I can’t. It feels so different and good! But the area where they were all tied off is red and swollen. Is that ok? Could they have irritated that area that much? Or is something else going on? I do know that it’s feeling better there since they came out—— not completely painless, but better. I just wanted to check with you about that, and then I should be finished. I had a 1/2 hour walk today. It felt good!
that is normal and ok! Sutures are necessary but they are an irritant and a foreign body which causes more inflammation too. Glad you walked today too. I walk 4-5 miles min every day too.
Have a nice evening and I am very happy to hear things are steadily improving. :):)
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I kept thinking the pain was coming from the incision by the gum. Now I realize it was from the sutures. It’s really really red where they were. It should take care of itself with a little time. Right? I have an antiseptic mouth rinse I was given to use twice a day. That should help with the bright redness? ?? I can still feel one there, but most of them came out. But wow, it feels better!
Right!
Sutures always become troublesome for everyone but there is no other option to close the incision properly.
:):)
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I never gave a thought to them being a problem. But now that most of them are gone, I realize they were just that. Yes, I certainly understand their necessity. I just can’t thank you enough for your help and reassurance. You’re a saint for putting up with me. Now to get rid of my cheek swelling, but I know that will go away with a little more time. Thank you so very very much.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Do you know if I can use something other than Peridex rinse? It hasn’t bothered me until now, but tonight my tongue feels like it’s on fire. Miserable!
Sorry to hear about your burning tongue now. All the rinses are really irritants and will not really help with a burning tongue issue.
I would not use the Peridex rinse or any other rinse because they are all irritants.
If your burning tongue is from an allergic reaction to something you can try Benadryl and see if that helps.
Hopefully by morning this issue will pass on its own.
I do not have another remedy that I can think of to help you. Sorry, :(:(
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It just burns like crazy. I used this an hour ago and it’s not letting up. I used it a week with no trouble. I don’t know what to do. It’s terrible. Is it ok to go without any rinse at all? I hope this lets up pretty soon. My lips are burning, too. Nasty.
It is ok and you should absolutely stop all rinses or anything else you put in your mouth and please try the Benadryl or any other antihistamine you may normall use for allergies.
This should be self limiting and stop once you no longer continue doing whatever set this off.
Makes sense to me!
Good luck!:)
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I don’t have any allergy medicine here. Do you think I will be ok without? Seems like it’s let up just a tiny bit now, but still burns.
you will be ok without taking anything.
Just drink a lot of water to increase your hydration and that will flush out whatever is causing the burning.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I’ve been doing water already. Sheesh! Never expected this. Thank you. I definitely won’t use it again! I guess it was to help prevent infection???
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I’m doing well this morning. Thank you very much again! Have a wonderful day!
Glad to hear it!
Thanks for the update.
Have a great day too! :):)
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor