Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I got two fillings today. Not the kind the other kind. I was…

Hello doctor. I got two...
Hello doctor. I got two fillings today. Not the white kind the other kind. I was originally supposed to get the white kind but the dentist informed the other kind last’s much longer. So we went with the silver kind. However I noticed that the filling he did doesn’t feel like it has as much depth as some of my other feelings. Other fillings I have feel like they have molded to the my teeth and go deeper. Should I be worried that something wasn’t done properly? Or is it just because this filling is new that it feels like it has no depth
3/26/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, thanks for requesting me again!
Your dentist is correct that the silver filling will last longer than the white fillings. The depth of the filling is determined by the depth of decay or the depth of an old filling that was removed for any reason. So there is absolutely no need to worry about depth with your new fillings! Besides, there is really no way that you feel depth of any filling anyway and the dentist knows how far to go when cleaning your tooth out and then filling it so you need not be concerned at all. I lkkd the fact that your dentist uses silver fillings when possible. It is a wonderful restorative material it will last for many many years. :):)
It just felt deeper to the tongue compared to the others, but the others are VERY old. I’ve noticed with every small bite the new filling feels slightly more formed to the tooth and the crevice of the tooth. Is it normal to Have a metallic taste? I was told that would subside once the numbness goes away. Also is it normal for there to be sensitivity when lightly biting down as it is a new filling?
The tongue always knows when there is a change in the anatomy of a tooth. It detects the smallest changes and that is normal. The filling is made so that the occlusion or bite is correct which does make very small changes that is easily detected by the tongue. All good! The metallic taste is common and transient and is normal and after a few days will be gone. Many people will have sensitivity after getting a new filling. The nerve in the tooth is traumatized with every new restoration and the vast majority of the time this too is transient and the nerve calms down. If it does not after 2 weeks or so or gets worse then an exam would be needed to see if the bite is right or if the nerve has been compromised. If the tooth feels like you touch it first when you bite on it then it will need an adjustment but I would wait a few days to see if that is the case. :):)
Oh when I bite down it feels like it’s aligned. However towards the end of the tooth the bottom if almost feels like there is a piece of filling sticking out ever so slightly I’m worried it would fall out when eating or brushing. Is that normal, after every little bite and every feel of the tongue it seems like anything that is standing out is diminishing slightly. Is what I’m feeling just a change in the environment of the tooth and mouth since fillings are foreign to the enviorment? Do i need to worry about it falling out?
It will not fall off! That is the way it was contoured by your dentist for maximum biting surface and tooth anatomy. Not to worry! This is normal with new restorations. New restorations always feel different because they are different than the previous filling and both you and your tongue know it. Very normal!:)
Can I eat? Brush my teeth?
Absolutely you can eat and brush normally. The silver filling is very strong quickly and after 24 hours is as solid as possible and you do not need to worry about earring, brushing, flossing or using a waterpik. All good:)
as for now what should I stay away from until tomorrow?Also is it normal as it completely solidifies to feel little tiny pieces drop off. Very very tiny ones, I was told it’s normal and it will cease
I would brush normally and just avoid hard crunch foods today just to safe.
Yes it is normal for very tiny pieces to ether fall of or not to have been totally removed by the dentist when the filling was p,aced. Thus is normal too with silver fillings.:)
Thank you doctor. I was just concerned because the pain is sometimes moderate to painful when I bite a certain way but I think that’s normal as I’m still getting accustomed to the filling
You are very welcome!
New fillings are always sensitive for awhile and that is considered normal. It is not normal if after a couple of weeks things have not normalized. So for now you are good to go! :):)
I noticed when chewing my jaw moves forward and that’s when I feel a slight
Pain that immediately goes away. Is this because the ligament moves thus causing sensitivity to the tooth and this too should normalize? I don’t think it’s a sign that the filling is lose
you are correct again!
The filling is not loose.
This will also normalize over time.
Not to worry.:):)
Thank you doctor! Is it ok to eat some pasta I had my filling finished around 3 I’m not numb anymore but I am VERY hungry
Absolutely! Pasta is exactly what you should have and you can use any sauce you like, lol :)
Root Canal Doctor
Thank you doctor!
Doctor, I’m sorry l, but I realized when the fork touches the filling it hurts very bad and feels like a metallic pain. Is this normal and going to go back to normal
that is also normal at this time.
It will all return to normal so do not worry! :):)
I should be able to use metal cutlery soon then?
you will!:)
What causes the pain from the metallic touching anyway, if you don’t mind me asking
No problem.
2 possibilities. Ligament sensitivity and pupal sensitivity.
Both are possible this early on after a new filling. :)
that has to go with metals? Do the elements add to the sensitivity?
Possible. But dentists are supposed to place liners under fillings to reduce or eliminate that possibility.
Should I be concerned?
The only time I feel the pain is when the metal fork directly touches the filling, when ever the fork touches other fillings it feels uncomfortable. The metallic taste is starting to dissipate
No, you should not be concerned and neither am I. :)
If the dentist forgot to but the liner in, although I noticed he put somekind of white cushion thing in the hole before the metal, would it do any damage to me?
Dentists do not forget to put liners unde fillings, ever!
That is one of the first things you learn as a dental student.
No liner just means test the tooth becomes more prone to temperature sensitivity but if the nerve is healthy no issue at all.
Do the liners look like small white cylinders, like small corton things?
some do.
Most are liquid.
I was on the funny gas, I noticed some white tube things and I didn’t notice them again. If he forgot to put any barrier in, is this something that would hurt me?
No it will not hurt you. But if you are concerned just call your dentist and ask if a liner was used. Then you can relax! :):)
I gave a call and tried to explain the issue, but sadly they couldn’t tell me if a liner was used as the dentist wasn’t available to comment. They did say that the metallic taste is normal, and that when using metal cutlery it can cause pain and sensitivity to all teeth even without a filling so that’s normal. They said if it persists or gets worse just to give a call back, but since you believe even if a liner wasn’t used it won’t be of any harm as long as it doesn’t cause me to need a root canal or serious dental work, I’ll try to relax. I trust your judgement very much
Thanks! I am happy they reiterated everything I said to you which means they are good and are on the same wavelength as I am. Lol
No need to worry and go and enjoy your pasta. :):)
even if a liner wasn’t used I can relax, it won’t cause me to need serious work done?
I apologize for the reiterated question, I have grad school coming up and I need to save and want to make sure I’m not potentially facing any surprises because of any oversights.
you can relax.
There is no way for you to know what is going to happen to you or anyone in the future and when something does happen you just deal with it as it happens and there is always a solution that will work for you as long as you remain positive.
So no need to worry about anything that is not controllable by you. :):)
Thank you doctor. Plus, I’m sure the dentist does exceptional work, otherwise he wouldn’t have the great ratings and lengthy practice. Not every dentist could be as kind and knowledgeable as you, but hopefully they can come close LOL
You are welcome!
Thanks for the kind words. I am old maybe that is why, lol.
Have a nice evening. :):)
Doctor I sincerely ***** ***** I forgot to ask, it’s normal for there to be some sensitivity to liquids after the filling right? I drank some moderately warm tea and I had no issues, but cold iced tea moderately bothered the tooth after the first bout of discomfort, it was less noticable. Is it normal to feel slight discomfort to liquids? Again I’m sorry to disturb your evening
Hi, I am back and no need to apologize. Happy to help.
Yes, it is normal to be sensitive to cold liquids after getting a new filling. Very common and temporary problem.
It is normal to feel the cold and as long as symptoms disappear quickly you are all good. If the discomfort lasted for several minutes or longer then you could have a problem. But that is rare.
Give it time and you will be fine. :):)
the discomfort was very moderate and went away within seconds :)
Excellent!
Have a nice evening. :):)