Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a molar pulled two and a half weeks ago and developed…

I had a molar...

I had a molar pulled two and a half weeks ago and developed a dry socket. The area has been packed three times, but i still have pain. Is this normal?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The pain has been ongoing for 18 days, although it has eased some now to where I don't take pain medication any more.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I do heal very slowly, but it just seems like this should not hurt 18 days out.

3/26/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Do you still have packing in the socket?

The packing needs to come out of the socket right away. The packing is just delaying your healing. The socket cannot close while there is a foreign object in it. No packing should stay for more than 48 hours. Do you have any swelling?

There is a little bit of swelling in the gum. Most of the pain is in the jawbone area.

You should not be having any pain in that socket 18 days after an extraction. If the socket is the cause of the pain,its because of the packing. Were you placed on an antibiotic when the tooth was extracted?

Yes, I took one for seven days.

Does the pain radiate up to your midline in the chin? Was this a lower molar that was removed?

Was this done by an oral surgeon or general dentist?

Yes, I took one for seven days.
yes, and it is the bottom second from the last molar on the left. It was done by a general dentist.

My suggestion would be to return to a good dentist and have them clean this socket out to make sure that there are no bone fragments remaining in the socket. It is not normal for you to be having this kind of pain 18 days out. I would also get whatever packing that you have in there,taken out.

Yes, I took one for seven days.
Okay, thanks.

Make sure that they check your bite and adjust it so that you are not getting too much pressure on the adjacent teeth next to the socket.

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)