Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I am having a back molar extraction in a few days and have…

Hi, I am having...

Hi, I am having a back molar extraction in a few days and have pretty severe anxiety. if I take .5 mg of xanex will it help a lot? Also should I consider asking for a non epi novicaine?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?

No regulat check ups just a root canal about 5-6 years ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I was having some episodes of very rapid and hard heartbeats but went to cardiologist and he did all sorts of tests including stress test and everything came back fine. He said it was all probably due to anxiety.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

The xanax can help with your anxiety but another option for you is to have IV sedation for the procedure. Almost all oral surgeons have anesthesia training and can provide this for you and this type of anesthesia is a lot more relaxing and comfortable than taking a xanax. We use epinephrine in the local anesthetic to get a quick acting result that lasts. You can certainly ask for prilocaine or carbocaine without epinephrine and you would not have to worry about the transient short acting side effects that sometime occur with local anesthetic injections.

I am having it done at a general dentists office so there is no iv sedation which I wouldn't use anyways because I am way too anxious about that also! Are the prilocaine and carbocaine just novicaine without epi? Is it safe to take the xanex with all of them?

The prilocaine and carbocaine are different local anesthetics but are essentially the same thing as lidocaine. Lidocaine has replaced novocaine for the last 25 years. No one actually uses novocaine anymore and novocaine is not even manufactured anymore.Lidocaine normally comes with epinephrine. Carbocaine and prilocaine come without epinephrine. The xanax will not interfere with the local anesthetics and can safely be taken without any negative effects.

Last question:) I understand that they don't last as long but are they as effective in numbing the area as lidocaine. Dentist says extraction shouldn't take long so do you think that is a good way to go? Just worried about getting rapid heartbeat along with high anxiety...doesn't sound fun!
Any other suggestions on how to make it a less anxious visit?

The prilocaine or carbocaine will last a good hour and a half. The lidocaine with epinephrine will last 3 hours.All of the local anesthetics are just as effective as the others. You will not of course let them proceed if you feel anything at all. The tooth can be extracted painlessly and you should not settle for anything less.

Thank you for your help!

I am an anesthesiologist so I have the tools to relax you in seconds.You can relax knowing that these procedures are rather straightforward and in most cases are done within about ten minutes. Get a good night's sleep.

You are welcome. I take these teeth out under local anesthesia daily and everyone really does just fine. No need to worry.

Ill hold on to that thought..thank you!

PLease leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one . Thanks and good luck. You will be fine.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)