Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a tooth ache and I can't get a dentist right away.

I have a tooth...

I have a tooth ache and I can't get a dentist right away. I've used oral gel and did a salt water rinse but nothing helps the pain but ice cold water helps it for a few seconds

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No

3/25/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Do you have any swelling?

A little bit but not to much my gums just feel tender

Clove oil placed directly on the tooth can give some temporary relief but it sounds like you have a tooth that is dying so you will need to get on an antibiotic ASAP. In the meantime taking ibuprofen 600 and alternating that every four hours with tylenol 1000 mg.

Most dentists have a 24 hour emergency line and can call in some penicillin for you. You will need 500 mg every 6 hours.

I don't have a regular dentist I see. I have appointment set but they won't be able to see me till Friday

Rinsing with some 3% hydrogen peroxide diluted 1:1 every four hours can also help keep the area clean and may provide some drainage. There are lots of dentists out there and if you let them know that you have an emergency,they should be able to get you in. Getting you on an antibiotic should be possible within the next 24 hours.Just let them know that you have an emergency.

Ok thank you

You are welcome. I hope that you feel better soon

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one . Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)