Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I am a senior age 70. I had a very bad bite adjustment by a…

Second opinion] I am...

Second opinion] I am a senior age 70. I had a very bad bite adjustment by a periodontist. This was an ordinary check-up and cleaning. I had no symptoms. He showed me how a middle top tooth moved when I moved my teeth sideways, and said he?d adjust it. I never heard of this procedure before.In 15 minutes he ended up filing down all teeth throughout my mouth.Functional problems from the bite adjustments were immediate when I returned home and ate lunch. Too much tooth material was removed. The bite is now uneven due to the back and forth filing where a fix on one side made a problem on the other side. At the end, he suddenly filed off the bottom of the top front teeth. No technology for analysis, no discussion, no plan or mouth model was done first.My teeth are now too short. Now when chewing, the ends of the top and bottom front teeth scrape over the top of each other, the ends hit each other or the bottom front teeth slide in front of the top teeth. Crooked teeth now hit each other. There are sharp edges like sandpaper. When sleeping, the bottom front teeth push on the top teeth. Upper front and middle (fang) teeth, shorter and pointed, at times now nick the inner cheek/lip, especially when I bow my head reading or when sleeping..Also when sleeping, I have trouble finding a head position to prevent my side teeth from biting inner check tissue that sticks between the upper and lower side teeth.And at times my Jaw muscles can feel very fatigued. That is helped a bit by letting my jaw hang with teeth apart. I am wondering about use of a guard to keep teeth apart so I don?t bite the inner lip and cheek.How bad is this? What can be done? Can composite bonding at least cheaply add length to the front upper teeth that were shaved off? How can I stop biting my cheek from shortened sharp teeth without a huge expense? I am seeing a prosthodontist who is waiting for three weeks for any shifting by the teeth to take place.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

Is there a dentist who can respond?

3/25/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! I'm sorry to hear you are having these bite problems. It sounds like you are already on the right track by seeing a prosthodontist. Was your visit with the prosthodontist after all of the adjustments occurred?

Composite bonding is a great way to restore shortened and shipped teeth. It is important that the dentist performing the bonding have a very good understanding of your bite so that the same problem does not occur again. It may take multiple appointments to get the bite to its correct position, but yes, composite restoration of these teeth can repair the areas of missing tooth structure. Many dentists do not have much faith in the longevity of composite restorations for the purpose of bite changes. I personally believe, that when the teeth are in the proper bite relationship, composite restorations have a very long life-span. You will definitely need to protect them at night by wearing a nightguard made by the prosthodontist, custom to your teeth and bite.

Does that answer your question?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Dr. Lara, your answer provides more comfort than you know. I appreciate your guidance. I see the prosthodontist next week after the 3-week wait for any shifting to take place after the crazy adjustments. I'll learn what he recommends, his local reputation is very good, he seems conservative and that is what I need now. The worst part now is sleeping. I bought a new extra firm pillow to keep my jaw in place more, to help with the fatigue. Letting my jaw drop and relax as I go through the day helps also, per my general dentist. But the worst problem now is that in sleeping my inner cheeks go in between the top and bottom side teeth (both sides), and in sleeping I end up with bite "pinches" or nips. I fear a big clenching moment, which fortunately is rare. If my head tips forward my front left and right "fangs" (middle teeth) poke my inner lip, and at times my front teeth do too. So scary, I fear no help on this or very expensive help. I hope the "composite" fix can be a play. Thanks again. This is not like a bad hair cut that can grow back in a month.

I'm so happy to help! In order to help with the pinching of your cheeks and lips while you sleep, you might consider an over-the-counter nightguard just to separate the teeth and protect the soft tissue while you sleep. They are not great for long-term protection, but it could help you get through the next 3 weeks with as little damage as possible.

Please let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with! Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I should also say sorry for taking a bit to reply - after I posted my question and before reading your wonderful answer, I had to take off for a while. But thanks for helping me, and so quickly. You are a guiding light and help calm me.

Thank you for your kind words! I'm so happy to be able to help you. Have a wonderful week.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
A quick question. I read an article, forget where but may be this forum, that said bite adjustments were popular in the 1990's, but are not done much now because they can cause problems. Are there guidelines for today when an adjustment makes sense? One dentist said they would be be done to loose teeth. A different dentist said if you have a tight middle tooth like I had, grinding can be a problem and it is OK to loosen that tooth. So there at least seems to be a debate on when an adjustment makes sense, but more of a thing done in the past. Does that make sense?

That is a great question! And there is still a ton of debate on bite adjustments. Dentists do not all agree on this topic, so you will find some who have no problem with it and some who are vehemently against. It is very common for people to adjust the bite on teeth that are loose in order to relieve some of the biting pressure and hopefully allow the bone and gums to tighten around it. Whether it is an adjustment to shave down a tooth, or a restoration to build it back up, the most important factor is putting it into the correct bite relationship with the right jaw position. This is where your prosthodontist will be able to help you.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
that is a great answer, on a topic that is a bit complex. Thanks for some clarity and direction.
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)