Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I am a senior age 70. I had a very bad bite adjustment by a…

I am a senior...

I am a senior age 70. I had a very bad bite adjustment by a periodontist. This was an ordinary check-up and cleaning. I had no symptoms. He showed me how a middle top tooth moved when I moved my teeth sideways, and said he’d adjust it. I never heard of this procedure before.In 15 minutes he ended up filing down all teeth throughout my mouth.Functional problems from the bite adjustments were immediate when I returned home and ate lunch. Too much tooth material was removed. The bite is now uneven due to the back and forth filing where a fix on one side made a problem on the other side. At the end, he suddenly filed off the bottom of the top front teeth. No technology for analysis, no discussion, no plan or mouth model was done first.My teeth are now too short. Now when chewing, the ends of the top and bottom front teeth scrape over the top of each other, the ends hit each other or the bottom front teeth slide in front of the top teeth. Crooked teeth now hit each other. There are sharp edges like sandpaper. When sleeping, the bottom front teeth push on the top teeth. Upper front and middle (fang) teeth, shorter and pointed, at times now nick the inner cheek/lip, especially when I bow my head reading or when sleeping..Also when sleeping, I have trouble finding a head position to prevent my side teeth from biting inner check tissue that sticks between the upper and lower side teeth.And at times my Jaw muscles can feel very fatigued. That is helped a bit by letting my jaw hang with teeth apart. I am wondering about use of a guard to keep teeth apart so I don’t bite the inner lip and cheek.How bad is this? What can be done? Can composite bonding at least cheaply add length to the front upper teeth that were shaved off? How can I stop biting my cheek from shortened sharp teeth without a huge expense? I am seeing a prosthodontist who is waiting for three weeks for any shifting by the teeth to take place.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

Is there a dentist who can respond?

3/25/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Do you have any missing teeth that have not been replaced?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no

I am wondering why you have all of this shifting.Do you have spaces between your teeth?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
That is not my problem, this is about a bite adjustment

I am wondering though why they were doing a bite adjustment in the first place. Were you complaining of any pain or problems?

Bite adjustments are normally done when teeth shift. This most often occurs when there are missing teeth or spaces to shift into.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
This is answered in first paragraph.

If your bite was causing mobility of a tooth or teeth,that is the reason that he probably wanted to adjust the bite. Sometimes it takes a couple of visits before it is just right. A Night gaurd can help keep it stabilized. Do you grind or clench your teeth?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Again, this is answered in first paragraph, as to why he wanted to do it. Not what you guess as "probably wanted to adjust".

Composite bonding will not help ,it will just sheer off when you bite on it. It is nothing but plastic. The sharp edges on the teeth grabbing your cheek can be buffed down to stop that problem. It sounds to me that you just need to have the adjustment refined a bit. We do this type of thing all of the time.Like I said, it takes a couple of visits before we get it just right. It is nothing to worry about. The amount of adjustment is involving dust thicknesses of the teeth and does not harm them.

The adjustment was made because of the mobility. By relieving the stress on the tooth,it will allow the tooth to tighten up again.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
More than dust thickness, he took out enough to cause problems on other side, back and forth several times, now bite is way too low. A big concern is how now the inner check pushes between side teeth when lying down to sleep, keep biting my inner check throughout the night.

If you have no missing teeth and your teeth are in good shape,there is little that a prosthodontist can do for you but refine your bite adjustment so you may want to save yourself some money.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
If prostodontist of no use, where does that leave me?

It may feel to you that a large amount was taken off but the ligaments that surround the teeth are very sensitive to very small changes in pressure. This problem can be solved easily by refining the bite adjustment. It is not a major event.It can be solved quickly. Any good experienced general dentist can get this corrected for you in a matter of minutes.

I need to see a patient right now . I will be back shortly.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Front teeth too short - I have shortened upper front teeth, shaved off, and now my bottom front teeth scrape past and can be in front of top front teeth.Side teeth too short. When sleeping, lying down, shortened side teeth make for a more fleshy cheek area which slides between side teeth and get bit. .
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Front teeth too short - I have shortened upper front teeth, shaved off, and now my bottom front teeth scrape past and can be in front of top front teeth.Side teeth too short. When sleeping, lying down, shortened side teeth make for a more fleshy cheek area which slides between side teeth and get bit.Also you wrote the below, but there was NO MOBILITY problem. Per my first paragraph, it was LACK of mobility that he adjusted the one tooth so it could move more side to side (than the adjustment expanded to the whole mouth).You wrote: "The adjustment was made because of the mobility. By relieving the stress on the tooth,it will allow the tooth to tighten up again."

In your first paragraph"He showed me how a middle top tooth moved when I moved my teeth sideways, and said he’d adjust it. "That indicates to me that there was mobility. We don't adjust teeth because of lack of mobility.

These adjustments that need to be made are minor even though they feel major to you. You just need someone to adjust everything properly. Do not leave the office until everything feels perfect.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm told wait 3 weeks for teeth to shift and adjust, then go to next appt for follow-up. Interesting that you don't do adjustments for teeth that need to move more sideways, that is his justification for all this, make more room. Maybe a periodontist was the wrong doctor to do this procedure.

Periodontists are gum specialists and not dentists that deal with occlusion. I have not seen your xrays or a picture of your mouth but it sounds like one of your teeth was contacting prematurely. Teeth are not supposed to move at all. Only the jaw moves. Your bite should be adjusted now,not in three weeks. Find a good general dentist and they can take care of this for you. It is not that complicated.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
When you prepare to do an adjustment, do you use anything to help analyze first? Like a mouth model, xrays, any technology? This doctor used nothing, it was only having me bite on paper with ink (tap, tap, tap) and then he filed down all areas that he thought needed that. He went though the whole mouth in 15 minutes, than sliced off the bottom of my top front teeth, after saying they were thin.

It is done primarily with articulating paper. I do these type of things daily. You just need to have someone who is experienced doing it. It is not rocket science. It has more to do with your perception than anything else.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
What state are you in? How do you find someone who really is an occlusion specialist?

I am in Maryland.. There are no real occlusion specialists. An experienced general dentist or if you want to pay more money,a prosthodontist can do this for you also.

If you are closeby,I would be glad to take care of it for you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm in NJ. Will ask around for referrals from other professionals, maybe ask my oral surgeon who he'd recommend. Think I need an "in person" Q&A to get to the next stage.

The real factor is experience.And patience.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I've always sought out the experienced professionals, and that doesn't always work out. This periodontist has a golden resume. Will try the referral route. But too many people scratch each others back, so hard to get past that.

If you can't find anyone.I am between Baltimore and Annapolis in case you are traveling south for some sightseeing.

He may be good with gums but not so great at occlusal adjustments.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks. Do you have a colleague in NJ ?

I know a dentist in Pleasantville NJ but I do not think he is a high enough caliber for this task. It really is not that hard to do,it just requires testing and patience and feedback from you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I hope I find one with a high enough caliber. Hard to know how to really find that. Thanks.

If they ask questions and give you time to explain, that is a good sign.

Good Luck.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
OK thanks.

When you get a chance,please leave a rating. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)