Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I found, about a month ago, two lumps on the side of my

Customer Question
tongue. They're on each side...
I found, about a month ago, two lumps on the side of my tongue. They're on each side, at roughly equal distances back (just past the last molar). I'm not sure what these are and am wondering if I should be concerned.They're about the size of a pea and feel soft to touch. There's no pain; I only noticed one there because I could feel it brushing up on the top of my throat at one point. I still can from time to time, but not always.Being where they are I can't get a look at them. I can touch them using my finger, though.Please advise.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 2 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

Hello! Thank you for asking your question. Sorry it's been a long wait for you, I just came to the computer & noticed it had not been answered.

What I think you are feeling is a common thing likely, areas where your tongue can feel unencumbered and actually bulge out laterally merely because there simply are no more teeth left holding your tongue toward the middle of your mouth. Worded differently, The front teeth and middle teeth restrict your tongue from being bulbous or having any lumps outward laterally. However, once past the last tooth (molars), the tongue can then not be restricted and move laterally and exhibit bumps on both sides. You referred to them as pea size I believe.

If you'd like, look in the mirror and see if this fits your tongue shape mold/teeth areas, etc. Additionally, I'd be happy to take a look at a picture if you could send one to me... But my first impression is that you likely don't have anything to worry about!

Dr. Rampton

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine