Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My molar on the upper left side split in half front to back…

My molar on the...

My molar on the upper left side split in half front to back and my dentist shaved it down and was able to put a crown on . Later I had to have a root canal on the same tooth. It has been a little sore so I have been trying not chew on but today while eating the tooth came almost completely out. I got it back in place with my tongue and am not what is even holding it in. I can't eat with it like this and am wondering what would happen if I removed it before I wind up swallowing it. Jeff

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

A couple days. It fired up once before from chewing tough meat but calmed down after a couple days. It felt bruised more than anything else. Chewing anything makes it fire up but ibuprofen calms it down.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

He has been concerned about the tooth for awhile. I'm pretty sure this won't be an easy fix. I'm just not sure what to do about having it barely hanging there. It sees like it would be easy to remove but I don't know what will happen if I do that. I'm pretty sure that it won't stay in.

3/24/2018
Just Dental Truths!

Hello! Thank you for asking your question, I'm reviewing it now and will reply back to you in a few moments.

Sorry to hear of your present trouble...

I think I would strongly suggest the following:

Firstly, go to your nearest drug store/Walmart, etc., and get some "Fixodent". This is used primarily for Dentures and partial, but also would work quite well under a crown such as yours which you are concerned about perhaps swallowing. It will be sticky enough to somewhat glue the crown in place, as best you can for the weekend. Still, try to not chew on the tooth and be precautious, but it will have some adhesive qualities to help you through the weekend, and it will also be easy for your Dentist to remove it.

Then, get in to see your Dentist of choice asap - hopefully on Monday morning!

_______________________

And that is what I'd recommend. Be careful chewing on it, even with Fixodent applied, and get to your Dentist who should fix this for you, and if it was done recently, I'd think he or she would do so for a steep reduction in price or nothing hopefully, contingent on how long ago it was done.

I hope this helps you...

Dr. Rampton

*please do rate my answer. Thanks. And do not hesitate to ask any additional follow ups.

Note: Hang tough, you'll make it through the weekend. Ibuprofen or Tylenol should be helpful if much pain...

Do you possibly have any Fixodent around, by any chance?

I went to the store and bought some Fixodent and the cap actually came out while I was applying it ! So far the pain level is 0. I will be careful to keep the sight clean after eating ect. I already had a Dr. appointment for a cleaning Wednesday but I'm hoping that he can see me Monday. Thank you so much for being available with advice. Jeff

Great Jeff!

Do remember the Fixodent is a super "helper", but not something considered a real glue or anything. What am I saying? That it's NOT that strong. But generally with a patient that is careful it works great for a weekend or so!

Let me know if you have any further concerns now or over the weekend, etc. OK?

Dr. Rampton

*Oh, please RATE my answer OK? Thx...

Just Dental Truths!