Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have no taste. 18 months ago quite a while. I am 65 I have…

I have no taste ...

I have no taste

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?

18 months ago quite a while

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I am 65 I have brushed much in the last year. Seemed to lose most of my taste 6 months ago

3/24/2018
Just Dental Truths!

Hello! Thank you for asking your question, I'm reviewing it now and will reply back to you in a few moments.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok . Is this permanent? Serious?

Taste buds do diminish in numbers as we age sadly so. With such being the case, I'm presuming that this loss of taste was a gradual occurrence?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
chat will do for now. yes It was gradual.

I understand.

I am 60, and have not yet noticed what you have had happen, but it is fairly common for this to occur as we all age. Are you 100% unable to taste? Or, is it more of a "difficult to distinguish between sweets and salty taste problem?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am about 90 to 95 % unable to taste. I can taste sweets My tonge seems to have less sensation. I like chewing meat better than vegetables
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have more saliva secretion which I kind of suck down with a little noise.

I see. Most of the taste buds are on the tip of the tongue and fron sides of the tongue, so (maybe?) leaving food in those areas a couple second longer intentionally prior to swallowing may possibly keep you in the 90% or even bring you to the 85% level(?). I'm saying these things as, sadly so, there's little known to do to bring things with regard to tast back to "what we would prefer to have".

Here is a pretty good article, which you may find interesting to read about loss of taste:

www.aging.com/articles/loss-of-taste-in-the-elderly-135240.htm

____________________________

Irrespective of all, taste being poor or not, please do always remember to eat. I know that sounds simplistically silly, but some people really do kind of quit eating much if any sadly.

That is good your saliva flow is good. Some people lose that ability.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have some tender teeth and one is sightly loose
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the lose of "touch" common in the tongue as well aging?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I notice my tongue gets burnt by hot coffee more frequently
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am drinking cranberry juice I can taste that about 25%

Loss of touch, in the tongue? THAT is a question I've never been confronted with and frankly speaking do not know the answer for. But my first inclination would tend to be likely a "yes". As touch has to do with nerves, as do the taste buds and nerves as well.

When the timing is right for you, you may want to visit your dentist about that. Some situations can amplify lack of taste, like vitamin deficiencies, medications, mouth dryness (Which you don't have), and even dental problems. So a visit to the Dentist, could behoove you for not just the tooth, but perhaps could "possibly" help with taste improvement. No guarantees, but just wanted to mention it!

Dr. Rampton

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a very dry mouth when I am sleeping

The hot drinks... You may want to be a bit cautious there. Maybe use your finger to detect heat, etc. As hot drinks can temporarily burn up some of your taste buds. Those that get burned up will indeed grow back, but hot drinks are a possible troublemaker!

That is a tough one, while sleeping. Biotene and others will assist saliva flow when awake, chewing gum helps too. But sleeping? Pretty hard to chew gum and sleep at the same time - huh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Of course
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll try to get in as soon as I can I have always tried too until the last 18 mos.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've had to retire It's a transition and things are tight
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

I think you'd be prudent to do so. And ask your Dentist if he has any useful concise info. as well.

Also, you may want to read that article (above), it gives some useful information, and while it won't improve everything 100% it may well be able to assist you at least some. Heck, 10-15% would be nice, if it helped would be nice!

____________________________

You sound like a very nice person. I wished I could fix this situation 100%! But don't lose hope, there may well be some minor things that may help. Above all else - stay positive!

Oh, thank you, ***** ***** the best to you!

*Please do rate my answer, if you would. Thanks! And please do not hesitate to ask any additional follow ups if needed - OK?

Dr. Rampton

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I noticed I wrote I have brushed much in the last year It should have read I haven't brushed much in the last year

Well, you are no exception to the fact that ALL of us can improve a bit here and a bit there - right?

All the best to you...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you think pretty much the same answer? Diet may have been somewhat at a loss

I'm sorry I for some reason didn't get the message right or couldn't understand it. Could you re type it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again

Thank you!

Do "rate" my answer, would you?

Just Dental Truths!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had one follow up question

certainly

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have noticed that my gums don't seem as plump, their harder, and they don't blled that much. And also my teeth don't seem as sensitive. Could it be vitamin def. as well?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't bleed. gums don't bleed as much

I'm not sure why they don't bleed that much. But, I'd all in all, consider that to be a good/plus thing.

As for the less sensitive question. That is true. As our teeth are aging, they are changing. The second layer inside (think of it as the insulation layer) our teeth "dentin" ages it grows or enlarges in mass. Simultaneously the most inner layer (the Nerve) is shrinking. So, the net result is less nerve tissue in the teeth, and a greater insular layer of dentin around the teeth. Good question!

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist