Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I woke this morning and my tongue is grey and the top right…

Customer Question
Good morning, Doctor's Assistant:...

Good morning,

Doctor's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I woke this morning and my tongue is grey and the top right side of my younger

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?

Right side of my tongue is bruised. I had an appointment about 8 months ago. This is the first time Ever my tongue was a different color and bruised.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I just went on Xanax for anxiety, t razodone for sleep omeprazole for stomach

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

I just woke up to it today.it doesn't hurt no nausea or vomiting it is just Gray and bruised on right side that freaked me out. It has Always been pink

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dental
3/24/2018
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 27 days ago
Just Dental Truths!

Hello! Thank you for asking your question, I'm reviewing it now and will reply back to you in a few moments.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you very much.

My very first thought, as this happens quite a lot, is that you accidentally traumatized your tongue by inadvertently biting it during the night. Additionally, coupled with the new medicine, it could have made such an occurrence even easier to have happened last night.

What do you think?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I guess that could of happened but I would think I would wake up if I bit my tongue because that hurts. Why would my whole tongue be Gray and just my right side be bruised?? Wouldn't my tongue stay pink where I didn't bite it and bruise only where I did bite it??

Over the night, we all wake up in the morning with a slight hue or tint of grey on our tongues. It's basically a bioform film of cells and bacteria (which we all have tons of in our mouths), and sometimes is pronounced even more so, due to medicines we take. But this discoloring, which is temporary, and can be brushed off with your toothbrush, and even on it's own tend to wear off on it's own as we awake and saliva is stimulated to flow and make it tend to go away after a couple hours of being up and about our daily routines.

As for the bruising? I know what you are saying. If I bit my tongue, it would hurt and awake me, right? Often, the opposite is true. I suppose you'll just have to trust me on that one, but countless people bite their tongue and cheeks at night, only to find out in the morning. But, they slept right through it! It's quite common, really.

I'm glad you're NOT in any pain!

Dr. Rampton

I've bit my cheek and tongue at night. It happens quite often. As I mentioned, I'm glad you're not having any real discomfort.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I just emailed you 3 pics to show you what it looks like. I bruised my teeth and tongue this morning and nothing happened to change discoloration. Also the back of my tongue is now bruised also so that could not be from biting.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
3 pics

Good picture/s...

The whitish concerns me the least.

The reddish on your right side of the tongue, appears inflamed slightly, I'm presuming that's the area you are concerned about? Likely traumatized by teeth/biting. The brownish area, unsure, but I tend to want to ask you if you smoke. Brown, not always, but often indicates tobacco.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Nope I do not smoke or drink.

But also, we can't forget any medications taken, as they tend to cause temporary color changes on our tongues as well.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The only meds I am on are 1 Xanax for anxiety, trsedone for sleep pen. And omeprazole for stomach issues prn.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Xanax is prn also not pen

I understand.

The bruising which you initially had your question about, is that the area that is reddish on your right side of your tongue?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I am not worried about the reddish color I am worried about the gray tongue and brownish..greenish black color on the right side and the back of my tongue.those colors should not be there at all. My tongue has Always been pink. I understand the meds might be an issue but as a nurse I know that if this was because of meds it would usually happen within the first week not months later.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
My diet has not changed at all and I am really really scared.

As a nurse, and I as a Dentist, we pretty much know what is going on most the time though. I'm merely suggesting that it would be prudent to not be upset. To brush your tongue off with your toothpaste when you brush your teeth as well. Swish several times throughout the day. Realize that medications can and do mix up the flora in the mouth, and such flora do have different colors they portray to the visual spectrum. You are in no pain, so that is good. After a few hours more these colored (Other than any traumatized area from biting) areas should subside and be gone. And as a nurse, I'm certain you've seen different colors in people's mouths, due to the multiple millions of bacteria in all of our mouths.

Let me know what you think. As I will be very happy to opt out, and another Dentist can continue conversing with you - OK? No feelings hurt...

Thanks,

Dr. Rampton

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No that is fine as a nurse I have only seen bruising on tongues if they have been bitten and they looked nothing like mine. I always brush my teeth and tongue 3 times a day and have already done so this morning. I will give it a few days and if it hasn't gone away I will go to my dentist. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me.i hope you have a great day.

I truly indeed hope everything goes well for you. I DO want you to know though, that I've seen color change, much, much more prevalent than yours too. And truthfully, other than medications or foods eaten, I don't know why it often all of the sudden abruptly affects one person on one day and not on the other 360 days plus out of the year, but it does happen that way sometimes.

I think you are smart! Carry on and do the good oral hygiene which you presently do. And, if things are not better shortly, go to see your Dentist, who could easily do a flora swab count to see the histology of what is/ is not present.

But I don't think you honestly have anything serious to worry about. I'm only sorry I couldn't alleviate your concerns better though. I do wish you the very best! ( -:

Dr. Rampton

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist