Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had to have an extraction due to breakage of the tooth…

I had to have an...
I had to have an extraction due to breakage of the tooth that my dentist said was unrepairable. He then did a bone graft and placed a temporary bridge. Now he wants me to wait 4 weeks and come back to see if there’s any decay. It’s since been about 2 1/2 weeks and the extraction site has a horrible taste to it and suddenly started bleeding. Is this normal?
3/24/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

I am unsure about what you mean " come back and see if there is any decay". I thought that he extracted the tooth. It was not necessary to place any bone grafting in the socket. That was done just to charge you more money. The grafting material is most likely what you are having a problem with. If the temporary bridge was placed too tightly over the grafted area,the gum tissue allows food to get trapped and may be the reason for th bad taste. Can you upload a picture of the area in question? How much more did they charge you for the bone grafting?

I’m not sure. The estimate for the extraction and bridge was around $1300. He said he wanted to see if there was any decay on the tooth he attached the bridge to.

The decay should have been removed before he attached the bridge. I do not see any signs of inflammation or bleeding in this picture. The gum tissue in this picture looks quite normal.The price for the bridge is high. Are you going to have a permanent bridge placed?

It looks like that they just bonded a tooth onto the adjacent teeth. To make a temporary bridge,they would have had to recontoured and shaped the adjacent teeth.You would have been in the chair for over an hour.

He said he would place the permanent bridge after he saw there were no signs of decay. I’m not sure what he plans to do if there is decay. I was in the chair for almost 2 hours.

I am wondering if the bonding cracked and the artificial tooth may be putting pressure on the extraction site because it is unsupported.

The decay would have been removed while he was preparing the adjacent teeth to make the bridge. I am not sure what his reasoning is. Removing decay is a simple process that should have been done when he was making the bridge. Did this dentist just start practicing?

No he’s been practicing for at least 10+ years. How would I know If the bonding has cracked?

The permanent bridge should not be made for at least 8 weeks after the extraction was done.You should also ask him to remove the charges for the grafting material. The extraction should have cost no more than $150 and the temporary bridge no more than $400.

The artificial tooth would feel loose.

Is he applying some of the $1300 towards the permanent bridge?

It doesn’t feel loose. However i can feel an unevenness at my gum line. Yes that was the total for the entire procedure.

There will be an additional charge for over $3000 for the permanent bridge. Did they tell you about that?The gumline may feel uneven for several weeks while the extraction site is healing.

I believe the 1300 is what i have to pay after insurance and insurance is supposed to pay half. So I’m guessing possibly $2600 for the full procedure?

That could be. Make sure that he waits until you are completely healed before the permanent bridge is made or there will be a space between the gum and the artificial tooth on the permanent bridge.

IN the meantime,rinse with some hydrogen peroxide 3% diluted 1:1 3 to 4 times a day. That should keep the area clean under the temporary.

Ok thank you!!

You are welcome. You do not appear to be in any danger.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)