Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have lots of root canals. I have mostly ones and twos on…

I have lots of root...
I have lots of root canals. I have mostly ones and twos on my periodontal probing. I had a problematic area I always had to floss right after eating on my upper right side. Numerous months ago I put some clove bud oil on my gums that wasn't about addressing that area. I instantly got this pimple bump and eventually a swelling bubble formed behind it. It got sore and than I was able to significantly heal in the area but I was instituted to get a touch up root canal there and get the tooth evaluated. When I went in the endodontist said it was 50/50 and that if I wanted to take the chance on him likely finding a crack up there that I would only have to pay $700 of the $1800 procedure. He became more confident with the touch up tooth canal because of no cracks. I thought I definitely saved the tooth but he still had to evsluate it at my next appointment if he was going to finish the procedure or not. I played he whole week the fun with my tongue and didn't allow it to heal so we made an appointment for two weeks later which I missed because I had lost my car key and didn't make it there on time. I went in today with the gum area at the tooth seeming very stable and healing around the tooth. The gun area is pink but there is a slight non-sensation to probing above the tooth and above that also is non-sensitive he said there was still some puss and I have to lose the tooth. He said even if it did heal some in that area that there would be a puss cycle that would return. My problem is about the clove bud oil and it causing some gum damage when I applied it to my mouth that I read about the side effects of using clove bud oil after the endodontists prognosis. Side effects of clove bud oil include possible gum damage and tooth pulp. I made an appointment for a second opinion with another endodontist in a couple weeks to see if the nonsensitive pussy area heals at all.
3/23/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Your use of the clove bud oil and the appearance of the pimple on the gum were just coincidental. It sounds as if there has been a long standing infection in the tooth that was not resolved with root canal therapy. This happens on occasion.The pimple that you saw was a fistula leading to the infected area in the bone around the root tip. Irritation from a caustic substance would be something that would disappear in a weeks time. I would be glad to look at any X-rays that you have of the area to confirm this for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd like to know your opinion about getting a second opinion. And if you think that possibly because of the infection being caused by clove bud oil if actually three weeks after the start the touch up root canal if it still could take some more time to heal. I have no problem at all with the area but there is a bone situation. If the root canal touch up we're finished then there would be some bone healing but if there is still an infection problem than it seems that the tooth has to go.

Retreating root canaled teeth has about a 50 % chance of working. I really doubt that your problem has anything to do with the clove oil. Clove oil is just used for pain relief and is not used for removing infection. There is never anything wrong with getting a second opinion.

I would be glad to examine any pictures or X-rays that you have to upload.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The endodontist is not finishing the touch up root canal because he says the tooth has no chance. I don't have x-rays. I have an appointment at another endodontist. The endodontist I went to has a 5.0 rating and another with that rating wasn't available and I made anappointment at a 3.7. The endodontist I went to has a machine that takes 3 dimensional pictures but he seems like a really good endodontist as well but he seems a little quick to judge...but he's the doctor.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

The ratings are fine but are based on limited personal experiences.I expect that you will hear a similar response from the second endodontist. Without seeing the X-rays,it would be hard for me to give you any more specific information about this tooth.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think the small reservoir area of small non-sensitivity above the tooth that has puss could still heal at all? And might it not re-occur if it heals. If it's better for the tooth than pulling it might be the better and much more positive thing to do.

Which tooth exactly is the one in question? A fistula,the thing that you are seeing in the gum,leads to an infected sac attached to the root tip. They do not normally heal on their own.If it is a front tooth,an apicoectomy can be done.If it is a molar tooth an apicoectomy can be a lot more risky and these teeth are either extracted or replanted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea it's two teeth up from where the wisdom tooth would be.

That is a molar.They are too risky in my opinion to do a root amputation on.

I really need to see the X-ray to give you more specifics but persistent abscesses on teeth do not resolve on their own with or without clove oil.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Yea as I said that I didn't apply clove oil for that area specifically. So yes like the endodontist said, it was a coincidence. Thanks for your help.

You are welcome

Please leave a rating when you get a chance,we get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)