Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Not sure if it’s a Dental question but my daughter 18 year…

Not sure if it’s...

Not sure if it’s a Dental question but my daughter 18 year old daughter was referred to an oral surgeon. She developed an infection lower gum last tooth there. Amoxicillin did not work. Kept getting worse. Started Cephalexin yesterday afternoon. Now she’s taken a days worth and continuing to get worse. Her neck, throat and ears hurt as well.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

It’s my daughter. No it’s an infection began on her gum

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

A bubble like thing appeared on her gum at her lower right side tooth on Tuesday. Dentist said it’s an infection. Prescribed amoxicillin. Took it for a couple days. Infection continued to get worse and spread. Changed antibiotic to Cephalexin yesterday afternoon. She woke up even worse.

3/23/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

It sounds as if your daughter has a tooth infection. How long was she taking the amoxicillin and what dosage was she on?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She started it Tuesday afternoon until yesterday morning. 3 teaspoons a day
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I cannot afford a phone call

Ignore the prompts for the phone call.

Your daughter needs to be taking 500 mg of amoxicillin 3 times a day. What is the concentration of the liquid?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Actually they switched her to Cephalexin 250 MG/5 ML susp
It’s 10ml three times a day

Three teaspoons a day of any elixir that is available is not enough for an adult. It takes at least 48 hours of round the clock amoxicillin every 8 hours before you will see any decrease in the swelling.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She’s 18 and still has a pediatrician

Cephalexin is not a good substitute for tooth infections. Today is only Friday and it appears that she was under dosed with the amoxicillin. She is an adult and needs to be taking a higher concentration of amoxicillin.

Can she not take pills?

Cephalexin needs to be given four times a day and not three.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No she cannot. She won’t swallow them. I have the equivalent capsules
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
what do I do?

Did they explain to you that no antibiotic will cure a tooth infection?My suspicion is that she was not taking enough of the amoxicillin. I would stop the cephalexin and make sure that she is getting 500 mg of the amoxicillin 3 times a day

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I may take her to Boston Children’s today
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok thank you!
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no they did not tell me. Then what will treat it?

Tooth infections need to be treated with either root canal treatment or extraction. The hospital will normally not provide any dental treatment so you may be wasting your time and money if you take her there. The amoxicillin needs time to work.

Did you take your daughter to a dentist and have an X-ray taken yet?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
How much time though
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She was taking 250 mg/5 ml
Three times a day
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
If the amoxicillin
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
One teaspoon three times a day of the amoxicillin

At least 48 hours on the correct dose. She needs to be taking double that dose.

Have you seen a dentist or is a doctor prescribing her the antibiotic?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok thank you you. Of the amoxicillin?
And yes her dentist first prescribed the amoxicillin then her pediatrician prescribed the Cephalexin
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
We have an appointment on Monday with an oral surgeon but it’s progressing so quickly

You need to stick with the dentist and he needs to be informed of the correct dose. 250 mg its for a 6 year old not an 18 year old.

It is progressing because she was on the wrong dose.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you very much

If the amoxicillin does not work,she should be switched to clindamycin and not cephalexin.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I will call her dentist now
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
she needs double the dose?

You are welcome.. Your dentist should have told you the treatment that she needs. Double the dose now.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
go back to the amoxicillin?

Go back to the amoxicillin. Dose her now with 500mg. Then another in 8 hours around the clock. Your pediatrician is giving the wrong advice.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok thank you. And give it 48 hours?

Continue the amoxicillin for 1 week. Do not stop giving it around the clock.

If there is no decrease in the swelling in 48 hours,have the oral surgeon switch her to clindamycin 300 mg every six hours.

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Will do. You were a huge help!

Let me know if you have any other problems.

Please leave a rating . Thanks

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
She said her lips are turning blue and red and yes they did s panaramic xray
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
How many ml in a teaspoon I threw away the thing they gave me

There are 5 ml in a teaspoon. Did they tell you that she needed an extraction?

You can give her 1000 mg every eight hours for the next 24 hours to get her blood level up.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
that’s why we are seeing a surgeon for a consultation on regards ***** ***** extractions

Good. You can give her four teaspoons every 8 hours for the next 24 hours and then give two teaspoons every 8 hours for the next week.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hi again. So I took her to the oral surgeon. He told us she does not have a bacterial infection. Just viral. We are continuing the 10ml of amoxicillin. He prescribed a mouth rinse. Can’t remember the name but she has to use it twice a day to keep any bacteria away, along with warm water and salt during the day. Wisdom teeth are not a priority now. The infection is. The pain is bad. Her whole insides of her mouth is inflamed, even her lip. She can’t eat solid foods and I just give her alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol. They don’t last long though. He said it’s going to take time to heal. Just terrible I’m the meantime. There are small gym flaps by her back molars that food gets trapped in. She needs to be diligent about the cleaning. Idk what else to do for the pain. Even her ears and throat hurt. Wisdom teeth are trying to come in as well.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
gum *

Viral infections will usually resolve within about 10 days. Antibiotics are not effective against viral infections. Herpetic stomatitis can cause severe symptoms like this and that is a viral problem that will resolve on its own.Hydrogen peroxide 3% diluted 1:1 is a good mouth rinse to be used four times a day.Your surgeon should be able to prescribe a stronger pain killer to get her comfortable.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I asked but they wouldn’t. I will ask again. Thank you

It seems that the surgeon should be more sympathetic after seeing her.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I agree. And he’s a pediatric oral surgeon too. I will call him this afternoon thank you

You are welcome. Good luck.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you

No problem

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)