Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My jaw has been hurting for a couple of weeks; the pain is…

My jaw has been hurting...
My jaw has been hurting for a couple of weeks; the pain is just now subsiding. Could it be caused by bruxism? I don't recall having any other sort of injury or blow to my jaw, but I think I do grind my teeth at night.
3/22/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Where exactly is the soreness? Do you have any swelling?

Bruxism and grinding can certainly cause soreness of the jaw muscles and the temporomandibular joint in front of the ear. If the pain is getting better ,that is a good sign. Many times this happens when you are in the middle of some excess stress. Ibuprofen 600 mg every 4 hours,warm moist compresses and sticking to some softer foods will help. Getting rid of the stress is also helpful if that is possible. I will be away from the computer for a bit. I will check back for your response later.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The pain is where I think you’re describing: left jaw, right between my ear and molars. Pain gets sharper when I pull in my lower jaw. No swelling.

This sounds like a TMJ problem. It is very common. Do you have any missing teeth that have not been replaced?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no, but I think I've worn down the filling in my molar due to excessive grinding.

You can get yourself a night guard at the pharmacy or have your dentist make one for you. These things are transient and when your stress goes down,the grinding slows down and the pain will go away.

Please leave a rating if you have no further questions. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)