Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a oromaxillary fistula that was the result of a loose…

I have a oromaxillary...

I have a oromaxillary fistula that was the result of a loose abutment that wasn't removed before it had a chance to go up into my upper sinus. To fish it out the dentist had to drill bigger and bigger holes to get at it. He tried to repair the fistula 3 times already, and I still have this hole that allows fluid back and forth (and out my nose!). What should I do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

Sept or Oct? No breathing problems. Post nasal drip, can't blow up a balloon, runny nose, things I drink sometimes come out my nose.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Pernicious per

3/22/2018
Just Dental Truths!

Hello! Thank you for asking your question, I'm reviewing it now and will reply back to you in a few moments.

Have you considered visiting an Oral Surgeon? Not just because of possibly more experience, but also a second opinion?

It may be good to get a second set of eyes involved to fix your situation...

Dr. Rampton

Does the above make sense? I'm sorry you are having this problem. But if it were me? I'd want to get a second opinion. And a second opinion involving an Oral Surgeon who deals with oromaxillary fistula's among other things...

of course getting a second opinion makes sense I'd already thought of that. The only reason I haven't is I'm already $50,000 in debt from the first guy that I was hoping he would fix it without me incurring any additional cost.

If this first guy has charged you $50K, and still NOT fixed it, something is wrong with his ways of doing business.

If I had not fixed something for you, and you were unhappy, I'd most likely return your money and secondly refer you to another Dental personality. It's basically - ethics! Does your Dentist feel no responsibility, and that he's just going on charging you time after time? Because that doesn't sound right to me...

I still have one crown and bridge to be done, so I am hoping the hole will close or he will fix it when I go in for the final appliance. If not I will defiantly go see an oral surgeon for a consult. I am pretty curious as to the state of my sinus after he was digging around in there for 5 hours trying to fish out the abutment.

Might you have considered having the Oral Surgeon take a look at the fistula prior to any further Dental care? It might be a good idea to have an Oral Surgeon's opinion...

How are you managing with the fistula and all?

Just Dental Truths!
Thank for the advice.

You are more than welcome!

I hope you get this fistula evaluated, and rectified asap!

Dr. Rampton

*Darn, I was hoping for a "5 Star Rating" ...