Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a question about scar tissue on the cheek. He says to…

I have a question...

I have a question about scar tissue on the cheek

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?

Yes, he says to keep an eye on it. But it concerns me.

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?

Vision is fine.

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

On the right cheek, close to the lip, I have a hard little knob. I can feel it with my tongue, but there is nothing to see (it's not raised or red). Maybe it's scar tissue from biting my cheek (which has happened many times over the last ten years). the two vampire teeth (3rd teeth from the center) are very sharp and I've gouge myself involuntarily in the same area. the area is puffed compared to the left side.

3/21/2018
Just Dental Truths!

Hello! Thank you for asking your question, I'm reviewing it now and will reply back to you in a few moments.

Many times, never always, but often, a scar or knob area is caused from prolonged irritation. With reference to your situation, check how you bite. Could it be that you are accidentally biting on this area with your cuspids or other teeth where this knob or scar tissue is? Also, sometimes there is a crooked tooth or two, in many of our mouths' that tend to contribute to these situations as well. And, even at night, in some of our mouths, we inadvertantly bite or chew our tissue causing longer term trauma and consequentially scar or knob areas.

I do not know for certain if this is what has caused this scar area in your mouth, but I do know it happens due to situations like those mentioned above - quite often. I hope this helps you.

Dr. Rampton

*Please do rate my answer when I've addressed your concern/s. Thanks. Also, please do feel free to ask additional concern/s or questions, should you have them - OK?

Just Dental Truths!
that area gets "bloody" several times a year. The bottom 3rd tooth (from center) goes on top of the top 3rd tooth. On the other side of the mouth it's reversed. But as long as nothing gets bigger, I'm assuming I just live with it. I was just wondering if scar tissue does build up due to this incorrect bite - and you answered my question - Thank You. The dentist I saw didn't seem concerned and said as long as it doesn't become raised or red there nothing else to do.

And I would agree with what your Dentist said. Keep an eye on it. Likely, will never amount to anything needed to be done, fortunately!