Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a very tiny chip in my bottom front tooth that is…

I have a very...

I have a very tiny chip in my bottom front tooth that is barely noticeable but it has been very sensitive. I'm not sure if a dentist will be able to do anything about it being that it is so tiny so i'm not sure what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

No, last summer

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

I have a tiny chip in my bottom front tooth that is barely noticeable but has been really sensitive

3/21/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, if the chip is quite small then most times the sensitivity will disappear on its own over time. If the chip has progressed to the dentin of the tooth then the dentist can fix that with a small composite restoration that will eliminate the sensitivity.

If you can upload a photo it would help me hel you.

You can use this link for instructions: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert ,

You can use the "PAPER CLIP ICON" ,

OR you can use a photo hosting site like: https://www.flickr.com/ , http://imgur.com/, http://photobucket.com/ and then send me the link.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its the bottom right tooth

Thanks for the pic.

That is a very small chip.

If the discomfort continues your dentist can use some desensitizing paste on it to see if that helps

When did you chip it?

Root Canal Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Saturday, I'm not sure how it even happened but I noticed the discomfort and saw that there was a tiny chip. Thank you for your help!

You are very welcome.

For now, I would just give it time to see if it calms down on its own.

If not, your dentist can prescribe something like PreviDent Fluoride Varnish.

https://www.colgateprofessional.com/products/colgate-prevident-varnish-rx-only/informationhttps://www.colgateprofessional.com/products/colgate-prevident-varnish-rx-only/information

When applied to dental surfaces, it treats hypersensitivity quickly and easily. This product sets rapidly on contact with saliva and the pain stops instantly.

But I do not think you are there yet. So just give it a few days and see if it improves,. If not just go see your dentist or explain it to him over the phone and he can order some for you to try.

Good luck and have a nice evening!!

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor