Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a regular 6 month dental cleaning on Friday and

Hi,I had a regular 6...
Hi,I had a regular 6 month dental cleaning on Friday and everything seemed fine. Sunday night the upper back of my mouth was really throbbing, so I took a 500mg Tylenol, went to sleep and my mouth seemed fine. Tonight, 48 hours later, I was eating dinner and suddenly my tooth started throbbing again. I just took another Tylenol, and it’s starting to feel better.Here’s my question. My dentist said my gums weren’t perfect in that area, but they are okay. He suggested I might loose that tooth in the next 5 years. Is there anything that could have happened as part of the cleaning that would have made it throb like it is now?Thanks
3/21/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi Adam,

Yes, the cleaning in that area most likely inflamed the periodontal ligament that surrounds the tooth. When you have bone and gum issues any cleaning procedure can irritate and inflame the area and that reaction is normally self-limiting and things will calm down over time without further treatment.

Has your dentist recommended that you see a periodontist for help with this tooth?

If you have a lot of discomfort you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a narcotic prescription medication.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, he said it would be fine for a few years. We discussed it, and he didn’t seem that worried. The throbbing is very intermittent. Do you think waiting a couple of days is safe?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the advice on Advil and Tylenol.

Yes, waiting is what I would for now. You did say that your dentist said you could lose the tooth in 5 years.

So which is it?

You are welcome!!

I would wait and give things a chance to calm down. It could take 3-5 days or more and if you improve a little each day then you are good to go. OK?

Root Canal Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great. Thanks for the consult!

My pleasure.

Good luck and have a nice evening!! :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor