Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I am very sorry to bother you again. However, one of my

Hey doctor, I am very...
Hey doctor, I am very sorry to bother you again. However, one of my teeth feels like it shifts, when food gets stuck between, or when I nudge it with my tongue. It’s not constant but occasional. I believe it may be the ligament, but the Internet scared me that this could be a sign of pereodental disease. My dentist hasn’t mentioned anything about that, is it normal for the ligament to occasional move making it feel the the tooth moved when nudged? Especially because this tooth isn’t aligned perfectly?
3/21/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

The teeth are all held in place by the periodontal ligament and it is flexible and does move slightly when pushed or forced by anything.

Whenever food gets stuck between the teeth the teeth are moved and the movement is minor and temporary until the food has either dissolved or been removed. Then the ligament will rebound and return to the original position. This is very normal and many people just notice the change in pressure which translates like moving teeth. But it is not like having an orthodontic appliance and any movement is not permanent so there is no need to worry. It is even more noticeable when teeth are not aligned properly.

But there is no reason to be concerned. Your dentist has not mentioned it to you because there is nothing to mention since it a normal response. You are ok!!! :):)

Ahhh ok, I was concerned, the internet can be scary. I only noticed it on that one tooth, when ever I push it with my tongue it feels almost like a small shift. I suppose likrbtou said I only motive it on that one because it is misaligned. The shift is so minor that the tooth itself doesn’t feel like it moves

You cannot check tooth movement with your tongue or finger or any soft tissue. You need to check tooth movement with something hard like your fingernail or an instrument but never with soft tissue. You always get the feeling of movement with soft tissue against a tooth!!! Your teeth are not moving! :)

Root Canal Doctor
THATS WHY! Sorry for the caps, this has been driving me crazy for months! Soft tissue against a hard surface such as a tooth would mimic movement! Of course!!

I like caps, lol.

Have a nice evening!! :):)

nothing is falling out then :) thank you so much
Have a wonderful evening aswell

:):)

Also, please be careful in this impending snow storm, thank you again doctor!

:):):)