Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I'd like to speak with somebody who is familiar with

I'd like to speak...

I'd like to speak with somebody who is familiar with performing the LANAP.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?

Yes.

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

I had a LANAP performed 7 days ago. I've noticed that there is less gum tissue around one of the teeth post procedure. It looks like a significant amount of lost tissue to me, but I'd like a second opinion before speaking with my dentist.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

Are you a rebot?

3/20/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there! I'd be happy to answer your questions about your recent periodontal procedure. Would you mind answering a few questions for me?

1. Before the procedure, do you recall any of the number measurements (probing depths) your dentist or dental hygienist took?

2. Are you experiencing any increased sensitivity on the tooth that has less gum tissue?

3. Do you think you could get a photo of the tooth you are concerned about? If possible, have someone else take the photo with a flash while you hold your cheek away from the tooth.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The worst tooth (the one that now has visibly less gum tissue) had a depth of 10mm. I think one of the surrounding teeth was at 8mm but I'm not entirely sure. I've attached before and after pictures. (The "before" picture was taken late last month, the after was taken yesterday.) There is some increased sensitivity, but not on the tooth that's visibly worse. It's the tooth next to the "bad tooth" and the sensitivity is on the rear of the tooth (not facing out.)

Thank you for attaching those great photos. With a 10mm pocket, that tooth would have been at a very high risk for gum recession after any periodontal procedure. The LANAP procedure removes diseased tissue, and at 10mm, there was likely a lot of diseased tissue. After its removal, you are left with shorter gums. And the recession actually makes the tooth healthier because it reduces the depth of the pocket and makes it easier to clean for you.

Depending on the length of the root of this tooth, it could need future dental work to keep it healthy and stable.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, it's good to hear that it's "normal" to lose some tissue post procedure. I assume that you're not concerned with the picture you saw?...or would you recommend that I consider something like the "Pinhole Surgical Technique" to pull the tissue up a bit (especially where there is some sensitivity in the back.) Thanks.

Possibly. You will want to wait for things to stabilize. Once your dentist confirms that the area is healthy gum tissue at a disease-free probing depth (3mm at the most), then you can discuss treatment options.

The pinhole procedure is one technique for moving the gum tissue. There are also other grafting procedures that work well and have good long-term success rates. (The pinhole technique is relatively new, and the only detailed information available about it is when a dentist has taken the very expensive course to be trained in it . . .)

Are there any other questions that I can answer for you?

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm all set. Thank you.
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)