Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had my lower right wisdom tooth pulled on Friday. It was…

Hi, I had my...

Hi, I had my lower right wisdom tooth pulled on Friday. It was all the way erupted but slight slanted outward. Upon extraction, the top half of it broke off, so he had to, in my understanding, drill and scoop to get the rest out. Today is Tuesday and my level of pain had increased by the day. I have a history of dry socket with a previous extraction, but the major concern here is the gum around the tooth next to where I had the extraction. It's not attached to my tooth anymore and it's turning red and as you get around to the back of the tooth, very painful to touch. I also still see and taste blood in this area. My dentist says it could be a dry socket but they wouldn't know bc they stitched it up. I haven't been able to sleep since Saturday night. Please, advice? My jaw is also still swollen and painful to touch. The pain is throbbing. It also hurts just for my jaw to sit on those teeth.

Doctor's Assistant: Do your broken wisdom hurt constantly or on and off? Which pain reliever have you been using, if any?

It's not broken. It's fully extracted. And Tylenol, Motrin, and Norco all throughout the day. Motrin helps the best but not nearly enough.

Doctor's Assistant: What dosage of Motrin are you using? Any allergies to medications or other substances?

800. And no

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Possibly that I have a low WBC

3/20/2018
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Have you been placed on an antibiotic?Do you have pain that extends to the midline of your chin?

The gum that is unattached will heal itself and you do not need to worry with that. New gum tissue will form under that flap.

I have NOT been placed on any antibiotic. And the pain so far only goes to the right side of my chin. I also feel it in my neck and ear occasionally.
I can't afford the phone call. Was that the end of this session?

Your symptoms indicate that the clot has fallen out of the socket and that in addition,you have developed an infection. You need to get started on some penicillin,amoxicillin or clindamycin right away. I can give you instructions on how to make a dressing

Just ignore the site prompting you for a phone call . It is just an annoying prompt.

Please do. I will take any advice you have. I'm going to my dentist today and hopefully they will take my pain level seriously this time. They say pain is Normal but I dont feel that the pain should increase day by day.

Your dentist can call in the antibiotic for you without you needing an appointment. Once you indicate that you still have swelling,they should be able to call the prescription in for you. Stay on it until it is gone. It should last for 1 week.

GEt a piece of gauze pad and cut it to 1 inch by 1'/2 inches. Coat it on bothe sides with some Desitin ointment. Place it in the socket and you should get some relief within minutes.It will need to be removed in 48 hours. You can save a trip by having them call your pharmacy. The gauze packing is all that they will do anyway.

I saw them yesterday and they seemed to feel that it was normal for me to still be swollen. They packed it yesterday but not very well. It just kinda sat on top of the site and then came out 15 min later. I was going today did they could repack it. Is that necessary?

GEt a piece of gauze pad and cut it to 1 inch by 1'/2 inches. Coat it on both sides with some Desitin ointment. Place it in the socket and you should get some relief within minutes.It will need to be removed in 48 hours. You can save a trip by having them call your pharmacy. The gauze packing is all that they will do anyway.

You should not be swollen like that and have pain from an extraction of an erupted tooth. You need an antibiotic. I don't know how competent your dentist is but there could still be something in the socket that has not been removed. I would need to see your xray to tell that.

Thank you so much! Is desitin otc? What is it's intended use so that I will be able to find it.

Dry sockets will heal on their own with no treatment. Desitin is over the counter. It will be in the baby section where the diapers are.

It is waterproof and has zinc oxide in it to give the exposed bone pain relief instantly.

I hope not. During my follow up they didn't do another xray so they wouldn't know. It was my first time seeing them. If I take antibiotics and something is still in the socket will it eventually push out?

Normally it will push out by itself but I have seen so many reports of incompetent dentists I can't tell what yours is like.The antibiotic is to cure the infection

Okay well you have been very helpful. I'm hoping that they will call in an antibiotic and if not, I can try my teledoc service.

They should be able to do that for you. I do it daily in my office.

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. We get no credit for our time without one. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Thank you! Will do