Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have an infected tooth and need to get an antibiotic till…

Customer Question
I have an infected...

I have an infected tooth and need to get an antibiotic till I can get to my dentist

Doctor's Assistant: Has the infection been stable or getting worse? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

Slowly getting worse I can still manage

Doctor's Assistant: What dosage of the antibiotic are you using? Any allergies to medications or other substances?

I’m not using an antibiotic yet I need one and I’m not allergic to medication

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Not that I’m aware of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dental
3/20/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 3 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

Most dentists have a 24 hour emergency line where you can reach them and they can call in an antibiotic for you without you actually having to go to the office. The antibiotic of choice for tooth infections is penicillin VK 500 mg to be taken every 6 hours. Amoxicillin is also good and the dosage is 500 mg every 8 hours.

I am probably in a different state than you are so I cannot prescribe online. Any urgent care center can write the prescription for you also.Remember that the antibiotic cannot cure a tooth infection. It can only keep it from spreading temporarily.

Is there something else that I can help you with?