Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Root Canal Doctor. I have a question about my daughter's…

Hello, Root Canal Doctor. I...
Hello, Root Canal Doctor. I have a question about my daughter's teeth.
3/20/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there. It looks like the doctor you have requested is unavailable right now. I would be happy to help you if you would like an answer as soon as possible.

Otherwise, feel free to wait for the other doctor. Just let me know what you prefer.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Hello, Dr Lara.
I would like to wait for Root Canal Doctor, please, as I have spoken with him a few times before.
Many thanks.

No problem. I will opt out so the question is open for him to respond when he becomes available.

Dr. Lara

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, thanks for requesting me again.

What would you like to know about your daughter's teeth?

Hello.
I would like to ask a question about my daughter. She will be 11 in August.
At our last dental visit, the dentist said that she may do an xray next time to find out what is happening with my daughter's permanent left upper canine as there is no sign of it coming in.
She has her permanent canine on the right upper side, so I guess this is why the dentist is questioning why it is not there on the left.However, what this dentist never remembers is that my daughter had to have her first molar on the upper right extracted when we were on holiday when she was 8. (Due to a botched filling done by said dentist, but we won't go into that!) I am constantly having to remind her and it never seems to get added to my daughter's notes.Isn't it likely that the canine is through earlier on the upper right because that molar was removed 2.5 years ago, allowing more space for it to come in early?
I am especially confused as sites like this (https://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Publications/Files/patient_58.ashx) suggest that the upper canines don't come in until age 11-12 anyway, so the upper right one is EARLY rather than the upper left one being LATE!I am keen to avoid xrays unless 100% necessary so I would be grateful for your advice here.

I see you have done your homework about this. Knowing you I would not have expected anything less! :)

You are also correct that there was more space available for the right canine to erupt because of the space left after the baby molar was removed. There was nothing to impede its eruption. Having said that, most teeth will erupt within 6 months of each other when comparing opposite sides of the mouth. It is early to expect the eruption of the left canine now!

Having a Xray will determine the location of the canine to be sure it is where it is supposed to be in the jaw. This will also ensure that it is not blocked in any way as well.

Having one x-ray will not at all injure or compromise your daughter. But I do understand your concern.

So you really have a choice to make now. Wait and see what happens or find out now if everything is ok with the location of the canine. Either choice is ok and will not harm your daughter in any way.

I hope this helps. If not please get back to me. Thanks.

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure when the upper right canine came in but it is not fully erupted yet. It is about half the length of the adjacent incisor. What does that tell us in terms of your 6-month rule?
Also:
1. Would the lack of first molar make the canine erupt earlier than usual, thus making the 6-month rule less applicable?
2. When you say it's early to expect eruption of the left canine, do you mean because she is 10, and they usually erupt at 11-12?
3. If we wait, how long do we wait? And how likely is it that there may be something blocking it from coming in?
4. If her baby canine is wobbly, would that mean it's on the way?

It does tell us that it may be too soon to worry about the left canine.

In the next 3 months if the left canine does begin to erupt then there is no need to worry.

If after this time it shows no sign of erupting I would recommend that a Xray is taken.

Does this make sense to you as well?

I see you posted again with more info.

1. Yes, as I wrote earlier.

2. Yes, it is early because she is only 10 and that would be very early.

3. The wobbly, loose baby canine definitely means that there is a tooth coming down otherwise the baby tooth would not be loose.

There is no way to tell about blockages without a Xray.

Since her baby tooth is loose I would just wait a bit longer and see what happens.

Sorry, we crossed over and I also was not clear.
The tooth is not wobbly,
I was asking if it changes things if/when it does become wobbly.So basically, the fact that the erupted one is not yet fully erupted tells us we can wait a few more months?And how common is a blockage? I have never encountered this before.
Finally (sorry), would it not be safe to wait until she is 11-12 as that is the usual time-frame?
What is the danger in waiting?

If it becomes wobbly then that means that there is an erupting tooth above it.

The right canine being half a down does mean that the left canine should be close behind and if not erupting after 3 more months I would xray to find out what is happening.

The left canine would most likely not be blocked but it be coming in sideways which is a problem and the Xray would rule out that possibility.

The danger in waiting is that you may be able to help the canine early if it is not where it is supposed to be at her age.

But waiting 3 more months should not be an issue.

And please, there is no reason to apologize for asking question!! :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Thank you!
I appreciate your patience.
Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome!!

Have great evening!!:):)