Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have canker sores inside my bottom lip and a very sore,

Customer Question
I have canker sores...

I have canker sores inside my bot***** *****p and a very sore, sensitive tongue. My tongue feels like it's been burned and the canker sores make my mouth feel very acidic. I have ulcerative colitis, since 1968, and have been under a lot of stress this past year. I would like to try some remedies I can use myself before going to a doctor. What should I try?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

No swelling or tooth pain

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a total hip replacement 2 years ago. But when I went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned I couldn't. The dentist said I should have been put on a round of antibiotics before tooth cleaning and after. My mom was very ill with cancer and I was her caregiver. I did not get around to taking care of my teeth.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
3/20/2018
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, sorry you have canker sores at this time. They can be very painful and there are some things you can use to help with the discomfort.

Aphthous Ulcers or Canker sores are a result of either, stress, anxiety, a poor diet, a vitamin deficiency, food allergy, smoking, just to mention a few.

You can use one of the following remedies: Benzocaine, Oragel, Lidocaine. and Debacterol. Another very good drug triamcinolone dental paste .1% also known as Kenalog in Orabase.This is a granular paste with pectin in it that allows the ointment to stay in place even in the presence of saliva! Use it sparingly about 3 to 4 times a day. You will need to get a prescription for the Kenalog if you need it. Just call your dentist and he can call it in for you. Vitamin B complex and Folic Acid have also been shown to be effective in reducing canker sores.

It will take 7-10 days for total healing to occur. Sometimes sooner but the discomfort will lessen in a couple days.

Here is a website that describes it well: Recurrent Apthous Ulcer (Stomatitis))

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/867080-overview

The above remedies will help control the discomfort and will allow you to function normally.

I hope this helps. If you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

Do you need more help with this?

Are you still there?