Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Is dental numbing medication safe without epinephrine? What…

Is dental numbing medication safe...
Is dental numbing medication safe without epinephrine? What I mean is, is it still possible for it to cause any heart issues or not possible?
I am needing dental work and am nervous. I was told to not have epi but I still want to be certain that it's not dangerous in any way. (This will help ease my anxiety to know that I don't need to worry about it).
3/19/2018
Drew Moore DDS MS
Drew Moore DDS MS, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi. I am Dr. Moore, a board certified periodontist.

Who told you not to have epinephrine?

My doctor. I have had episodes of heart palpitations and I also have an anxiety disorder. It's possible it is related, however, I do have significant family history of heart disease so he told me to for go the Epinephrine just to be on the safe side.

Okay. I just wanted to make sure this was based on medical advice. Most all patients will have a feeling of increased heart rate with anesthetics with epinephrine. This is totally normal. The other reason I asked is that the epinephrine in the anesthetic allows the anesthetic to stay in the area longer and to be more effective. But, if you get treatment performed without epinephrine, then you will be fine. Your dentist might just have to add more as the procedure goes along......

Since you have some dental anxiety, I would suggest having some kind of sedation. This will help to relax you. Are you having any procedures done, soon? If so, what are you having done?

Even for patients with heart issues, a small amount of epinephrine is safe. We just have to use less of the anesthetic with the epi. There are oral sedatives and IV sedation that you can ask your dentist to employ for the procedures. If he or she doesn't perform sedation, then a dental anesthesiologist can be brought in. I do IV sedation. But, with more complicated cases, I sometimes bring in a dental anesthesiologist.

A couple of tooth extractions. The doctor did give me Ativan to take but I am still nervous. I have not had any dental work done for years and I have had different heart episodes in the past year or so. I had a high heart rate of 180 a few months back, they put it down to me sitting up too quickly as the ECG showed as normal.
This still has gotten my nerves going though, especially with this dental work that needs to be done.
I have let my teeth get bad unfortunately but the toothaches can no longer be ignored.

I totally understand and I have dealt with many patients in your situation. A "bad" tooth needs to come out. It causes pain and you are nervous. You should definitely have the extractions done by a periodontist or an oral surgeon who can perform light IV sedation, called conscious sedation. Pills don't often work for people who are extremely nervous.

I have also inquired about full sedation, which they will do, however the price tag is $250 to be paid by the patient and it's not within my budget.
I am now trying to calm my own mind down and cope with the Ativan..but just wanted reassurance as my mind is still running.
As for light sedation, that would be an issue as well as I would only be comfortable with either full or none.
To be honest, I don't think the dentist I am seeing even offers light sedation and he is the only one I can get into see. Anyone else will take at least a week or more and my teeth have been in pain for days now.

Or, your dentist can bring someone in. I have tried many times to do oral sedation with patients who are really anxious and we weren't able to do it. The patient couldn't calm down enough, even with the pills.

$250 is a bargain. I charge $650 or more and most dental anesthesiologists charge $750 per hour and $250 for each additional 15 minutes. Is there a way for you to do some financing? I think you be happier.

Well, then try the pills and ask if the nitrous oxide gas can be added, also. That will probably do it for you.

But, just keep in mind, that you are in control and you will need to practice breathing slowly through your nose and breathing deeply and slowly to help the medicine work and help to relax yourself. You will do well and you know you need to do the extractions. :-)

I am going to attempt to go and see this dentist tomorrow as he is an on call dentist and doesn't offer as many options as the other dentist but the pain is forcing me to go.
If I cannot manage than yes, I will pay the $250. I again have no idea if he offers nitrous oxide, this dentist is quite basic. He is the only choice when you can't get into your own dentist and does mostly extractions and fillings.
It's a shame you couldn't do my work. :) I live in a small city and unfortunately it's difficult to get into the dentist and the one I can see, I am not too confident about, though my options are very limited unless I want to wait.

But, as far as the anesthetic, just ask for the kind without epinephrine and that will also help, since you won't have the palpitations. Good luck.

Well, best wishes to you and I know you can do it. I hope I have made you feel better about this.

But there is definitely no reason to fear the medications given for numbing? Epi or no Epi? I keep picturing me having heart issues. But it comes down to not knowing how these meds work and what to fear or not to fear.

Since you have some heart flutter, ask for the non-epi. It will still work fine. Just let him know if the numbness wears off at all.

But these kinds of medications won't cause serious heart issues? Thats mainly what I was wanting to know.

No. None of the anesthetics will cause heart issues. If a person already has heart disease, documented heart issues, then there could be a problem with the epinephrine. But, they won't cause you heart problems.

When a person has documented heart issues, then we have tables for how much epi we can safely use. Or, like you mentioned, we will treat without it.

A person with no issues can have several carpules of anesthetic. A person with certain heart diseases can only have two carpules, if epi is needed. I hope I have helped you.

Thank you so much Dr. Moore.I sincerely ***** ***** taking the time to talk to me about this. It does help so much.
My will go down just having a dentist let me know that I am in no danger. You have done me a great service.
My anxiety will go down

You are quite welcome. Please accept my answer and please leave me a great rating. God bless.

Drew Moore DDS MS
God bless you as well.
You are an exceptional dentist. Thank you for being so kind.

You are quite welcome. Thanks for the kind words.

Drew Moore DDS MS
Drew Moore DDS MS