Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Fully impacted wisdom teeth were surgically removed. Oral…

Fully impacted wisdom teeth were...
Fully impacted wisdom teeth were surgically removed. Oral surgeon billed separate procedure codes to Medical and Dental insurance, and both insurance companies paid. Code D7240 "Removal of impacted tooth-completely bony" was billed to and paid by MEDICAL insurance. Code D7280 "Surgical access of an unerupted tooth" was billed to an paid by DENTAL insurance.Is this appropriate?
(Please answer with authority not speculation)
3/19/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there. Do you know which tooth number was assigned to each specific code? Technically, those two codes are for different procedures. The medical code describes the actual removal of the tooth. The dental code describes the procedure to access a tooth that is not intended to be extracted. If both of these codes were applied to the same tooth, it is likely an error.

Does that answer your question?

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
That was it... Medical code on the wisdom teeth, and dental code on the 2nd molars. Thanks!

You're welcome. I am happy to help! Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara