Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I’m worried I have mouth or tongue can er. August last year…

I’m worried I have...

I’m worried I have mouth or tongue can er

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last visit to the dentist? Any irregular checkups?

August last year I last went

Doctor's Assistant: Can you see or feel anything else in your mouth that is causing concern?

Feel like something is stuck between my tooth and side of tongue underneath at the back. Also slight white coating on tongue at back and raised bumps. Also swollen neck glands

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I’ve recently been disagnosd with a small hiatus hernia and been put on medication for acid reflux

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there. I'd be happy to help answer your question. Do you think you could get a photo showing the area you are concerned about? It will help to have someone else take the photo using a flash while you hold your cheek out.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Hi babe attached photos can’t see it well as it’s right at the back
I’ve got a broken wisdom tooth on the same side on top top and on the bottom same side seems to be a wisdom tooth trying to come through
Meant I’ve not babe so sorry auto correct on phone

Thank you for attaching those photos. The bumps on the back of your tongue appear perfectly normal, so nothing to worry about there. The white coating appears normal, maybe the result of your mouth being a little dry.

If you have a sharp edge on any teeth near the lump you feel on your tongue, it is very likely that your tongue has developed a callous in response to the "injury" of rubbing against a sharp edge.

How long has it been present?

Dr. Lara

Well I’ve recently been diagnosed with acid reflux and a small hiatus hernia and been stressing myself out. So when my mouth started hurting and my throat I started looking around my mouth more. Now I feel like I’m finding weird things which I don’t know if they are normal or not. So couple of weeks. But my glands are swollen in my neck as well
The broken wisdom tooth is on the top would that still affect the back side of the tongue?

You should probably see a dentist for an in-person evaluation of those two wisdom teeth you mentioned. It sounds like they both could be at risk for causing problems. If the upper one is broken due to a large cavity, there could be an infection present, which is causing the swollen glands. The lower wisdom tooth that is coming in is at risk for a gum infection that could cause the same problem.

The tongue could definitely be irritated or affected by a broken upper tooth. It just depends on the posture of your tongue when you eat, talk, sleep, etc . . .

I do not think you are at risk for oral cancer, but I do think you have enough reasons to see a dentist to address the other issues.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

thank you very much. I’ve got a dentist appointment Wednesday. Can I ask, would a gastroscopy spot tongue cancer at the base of my tongue
Also can you have an infection in a tooth without it causing any pain?

No, it should not be able to cause cancer. Only repeated trauma over a very long period of time could ever develop into cancer.

Yes, you can definitely have tooth infections without pain. That's why we always take x-rays of the teeth. Many tooth infections do not cause symptoms until they are really bad. We can catch them earlier by taking dental x-rays. Your dentist should be able to evaluate both the upper and lower wisdom tooth to see if they are related to the issues you are having.

Does that answer your question?

Dr. Lara

No wanted to know if a gastroscopy can see tongue cancer at the base of your tongue. Other than that yes you answered my question
Thank you

Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood that. That's a good question, and I actually do not know the answer. I would guess they could see the base of the tongue, but I'm not sure they particularly look there. You might have to ask them to look for it. An ENT or oral surgeon is the very best person to check the base of the tongue for any dangerous spots that could be cancer.

Does that make sense?

Dr. Lara

Perfect thanks for your help.

You're welcome. I am happy to help. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

If you have any future dental questions, you can reach me directly at:

https://www.justanswer.com/dental/expert-laracoseoddsfagd/?rpt=3800

Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)