Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had root canal and crowns about 25 years ago and about a…

Customer Question
I had root canal...

I had root canal and crowns about 25 years ago and about a week ago my crown fell out and the dentist put the crown and post back into the socket. I immediately experienced pain and the next day took the tooth out and went back to the dentist where she drilled my tooth a little and then the crown did not fit. She also noted an abscess in the cavity but cemented the crown in place but the crown was lose and did not fit . The next day I had severe throbbing pain and being the weekend went to a pharmacy and was given klavox 1gm bd. The gums became white and swollen around the tooth and the cheek and jaw hard and swollen in that area, please advise

Doctor's Assistant: Back (~medical bodypart) Has the pain been stable or getting worse? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

The pain got worse and I went back to dentist yesterday and x-rays we're taken and the rest of crown s and implants we're not affected and was told to sit it out and should be better after the third day on antibiotics. This morning white skin around the gum peeled but the gum is still very swollen and painful

Doctor's Assistant: What dosage of the antibiotics are you using? Any allergies to medications or other substances?

Klavox 1gm bd and today is my 4th day

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

I'm hypertensive

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
3/19/2018
Dentist: Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there. It sounds like your dentist has diagnosed this as a gum infection, based on the white swelling. Do you think you could take a photo of the tooth from the cheek side so that I can see the area for myself? If you have someone to help you, have them take the photo with a flash while you hold your cheek out to allow the camera to show the side of the tooth.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara