Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a sore gum line in my lower right side of my mouth…

Customer Question
I have a sore...

I have a sore gum line in my lower right side of my mouth and it hurts when I chew food.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

Last October my former dentist inform me that the second tooth on the bottom right hand side was infected. He said the reason for the infection was the rootcanal work done on the tooth was decaying and may have to be redone. It fells the same way now. Can it be re infected.What can be done now temporaliy as I can not go to dentist because of certain health issues.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dental
3/19/2018
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 month ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Please stand by. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.Feel free to ask about anything that is unclear.

I would need to see an X-ray of the tooth to be able to give you an accurate diagnosis of what is going on. But to answer your question, a root canaled tooth can become reinfected for various reasons. Incomplete filling of the canal ,root fractures and gum problems around the tooth can allow for reinfection.It would be a good idea to at least have an X-ray taken of this tooth. The X-ray is cheap and at least you will know what the cause is for your pain.

If you have swelling now,you should at least call your dentist and have them call in a prescription for penicillin. This can all be done over the phone and the only cost is for the prescription.

I will be away from my computer for an hour or so. I will check back with you to see if there any other questions.

Do you have any further questions?

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)