Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

What is this spot on the roof of my mouth? It has been sore…

What is this white spot...
What is this white spot on the roof of my mouth? It has been sore for the past few days-week. Does it look like anything to be concerned about? It doesn’t hurt when I swallow. It only hurts bad when I squeeze my mouth muscles together when I have an itch or idk how to explain.
3/18/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi Branden,

Thanks for the nice pics of the white spot.

It just appears to be an area of irritation or ulcer that has formed and should resolve on its own.

These types of ulcerations or spots occur often and usually will be gone after 7-10 days without requiring any treatment. You can use warm salt water rinses to help with the discomfort and speed up the healing. You can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours.

The only time dentists become concerned about areas like yours is if they have not healed or disappeared after 2-3 weeks or keep increasing in size. If it does not heal on its own after 2-3 weeks then it would be prudent to see your dentist for a physical exam and possible biopsy but I do not believe that that will happen with this area of yours.

Does all this make sense to you?

Root Canal Doctor