Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a simple dental procedure 2 weeks ago. Crown on back…

Hello....I had a simple dental...
Hello....I had a simple dental procedure 2 weeks ago. Crown on back bottom left tooth came off. Had decay. Dentist cleaned it up and made a new crown. During the procedure I developed subcutaneous emphysema. Immediate swelling and crepitus which was not actually discovered until the procedure was over. I had swelling of my left face, neck, and supraclavicular area. I spent the evening in the ER and the night in ICU for monitoring of my airway and lungs. The dentist had prescribed PEN VK before I left his office. (I cannot take clindamycin as a year ago I had CDIFF which exacerbated my Crohn's disease after 12 years). I was discharged home the next day and completed the original antibiotic. I'm assuming the swelling of my cheek and neck along with some lasering of my gum during the dental procedure caused a significant hole between my tooth and gum in that tooths area. It is quite deep and food pockets there which I must clear with a dental tool I purchased at the drugstore. I also rinse with salt water and listerine. My concern is that I meet hard resistance at the base of this hole which I am concerned is bone exposed. If this is exposed bone am I in danger of osteomyelitis? Will the gum tissue granulate and grow back over this area and fill in this crater with time? If so, how much time? Should I seek the advice of a dental surgeon? My dentist is out of town and I have spoken with him by phone. I plan to see him when he returns. I have no pain in the area and I am able to chew on this side however I am a bit concerned.
3/18/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, wow, you sure have had a bad time of it all the way around with all of this.

You can relax because you do not have any exposed bone because if you did you would be in severe pain which you are not.

That is the good news. Rinsing your mouth with salt water and Listerine is the right thing to do.

What I would suggest is that you buy a Waterpik and use it daily and it will flush out any debris or any material that does become lodged in the hole and elsewhere in your mouth. The most important time to use the Waterpik is at night as the last device you use before going to bed. This will ensure that there is nothing left in the hole that could cause any gum infections or cavities.

The crater or hole will regenerate but will most likely not return to the original height. If you wish you can go see a periodontist for a consultation and see if anything can be done to restore the gum and bone level in this area.

I would see your dentist as planned and after you two discuss the problem and if he can handle it for you that would be great. And if not, then as for the referral to the Periodontist.

Does all this make sense to you?

Perfect sense. My main concern was if this were bone or not and your enlightenment is comforting to know!! Im thankful I have no pain although I did question if pain would be absent since I had a root canal of this tooth. A waterpik will be on my list for tomorrow! I appreciate your quick response. Thank you!

You are very welcome!!

Try and find the W100 model which is the cheapest one available and will work just fine. No need to get a more expensive fancier model of Waterpik.

When you get a chance please rate our interaction so that I get credit for responding.

Good luck and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Have a nice evening. :)

Root Canal Doctor