Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Bone cancer under wisdom teeth? How likely is that?

3/17/2018
Just Dental Truths!

Hello! Thank you for asking your question, what makes you think that you have cancer underneath wisdom tooth/teeth?

Dr. Rampton

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One of them has been uncomfortable for three months. I didn’t get worse though
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I met my dentist today. She said she cannot see anything wrong on the surface
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought it must be the bone under it

But when unerupted or not extracted, they sometimes do cause uncomfort. I'd not suggest to assume any bone cancer, however for any reason. Further, an x-ray called a panaramic x-ray, can be taken at your Dentist's office and will often be the first step to see if there is any cause for concern. That is what I'd suggest as a first step - a panaramic x-ray.

Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had a panoramic done in December of 2016. It revealed that wisdom tooth was pushing another tooth next to it. But nothing else was found by that time

Good...

So, if a tooth (wisdom tooth) is pushing forward against another tooth, one would expect, not unreasonably, that "some degree" of discomfort may occur. That discomfort is not abnormal. I'd fully expect that is where you are at this moment. A wisdom that occasionally causes you some discomfort. It should not be misconstrued to be cancer however.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The discomfort seems to be on the gum rather than being deep. Does that suggest anything?

Truthfully not really. By the mere numbers alone, oral cancer is not a frequently seen problem either. I've seen two cases in 30 years of Dentistry.

My suggestion; If you are concerned, I'd suggest to "double check" by having a visit to your Dentist of choice. They have more of a visual and hands on approach, needed tools and x-rays, cancer detection devices, etc. But I think you are likely fine!!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will make an appointment with an oral surgeon next week

To be more relaxed and certain, it may well be the best to have another set of eyes look at it, as you suggested above! I think you'll be smart to have such done. Good call!

Dr. Rampton

Please do rate my answer. Thanks. And, don't hesitate to ask any additional concern/s or questions, OK?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Just one more question. Since my last panoramic was clean. It is unlikely something bad developed in the past 15 months right? I don’t smoke or drink at all

If a person has cancer, it often is violent and fast growing. And, in 15 months, it could very easily show up on an x-ray.

But, I'm inclined to suggest that you have another get some factual evidence, showing nothing wrong, as it would only make you feel good, and that there is nothing going on - BADLY such as cancer. I think your Oral Surgeon can bring you a lot of solace!

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist