Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Gerard, I am still experiencing root canal pain 10 days

Hi Dr Gerard, I am...
Hi Dr Gerard, I am still experiencing root canal pain 10 days after the first stage clean out procedure. Have had one round of antibiotics after a gum abscess developed. it was amoxicillin. Have been switched to metronidazole. The second one is no fun and I have used it in the past. Hard on the gut. Should I take the second round or is this overdoing it?
3/16/2018
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, I do not believe Dr. Gerard is on the site.

Would you like me to help you or do you wish to wait to see if Dr. Gerard will respond?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No happy for you to help?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No online is fine

Ok, great!! Sorry, the website auto asks for a phone call. A real nuisance!!

Metronidazole is a wonderful antibiotic but not for dental related issues. Penicillin, Amoxicillin, and Clindamycin are the drugs of choice. You should not take the 2nd round of Metronidazole and if you really do need an antibiotic you should be given either Clindamycin or Penicillin. However, after 10 days of meds, you should no longer be having pain or need an antibiotic unless you are swollen and/or have a fever.

Was this tooth a molar?

Did you see an Endodontist or your general dentist for the root canal?

Are sensitive to biting or chewing?

Any swelling?

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi sorry not sure I hit the send button on my response. The procedure was done by my general dentist, it is a molar. The abscess is draining. Lips and cheek still a bit numb in root canal region. Not eating on it yet but have begun light brushing. Cheers

Thanks for the response.

If you are draining then you will be ok as long as the drainage continues and is not blocked by something.

The numbness is from the pressure caused by the abscess against the nerves which cause numbness and it will return to normal once the pressure has subsided.

You should also be using warm salt water rinses to help with the drainage and the soreness: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face.

Mild discomfort is considered normal and pain requiring meds is not after 10 days.

Do you need meds for the pain?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help. No fine with painkillers have Panadeine Forte if needed but haven’t used since acute pain phase in first few days

You are very welcome!

Please be sure to ask your dentist if there were 4 canals in your molar because the fourth canal is often missed by GP's.

Sounds like everything's going normally as long as the discomfort and the swelling and drainage continue to improve.

Also be sure that your dentist checks your bite to be sure that the occlusion has been relieved. If not, you will continue to traumatize your tooth and it will retard the healing and increase the discomfort.

I just happen to be an Endodontist for over 50 years.

Is there any other info you need?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No all good. Thanks for the advice’

You are very welcome!!

Thanks for using JustAnswer and when you get a chance please rate our interaction so that I get credit for responding.

Thanks and have a great weekend!! :):)

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor